Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Struggling to find a nanny job :(

(22 Posts)
stressedoutnan Fri 03-Jul-15 12:05:29

I have been a nanny for 3 years but have about 8 years childcare experience. I have nannied for school aged children and a baby. Every family I contact on childcare.co.uk just don't even read the messages and it's getting really annoying. anyone got any ideas? I'm looking in the south west area. have contacted tinies, and also look on UK. care.com and find a babysitter oh and gumtree!

MrsLeighHalfpenny Fri 03-Jul-15 12:07:16

Word of mouth? Hand out flyers at local Brownie/Cub groups, school notice boards etc?

Is there a local register held by the council?

stressedoutnan Fri 03-Jul-15 12:20:42

Unfortunately I don't live in the city that I am searching in. I'm moving there soon. so word of mouth is difficult at the moment as I know very few people living there! sad
I will check out if there is a local register.
I'm all out of ideas to be honest.

Total side note, but love your username :D

hesterton Fri 03-Jul-15 12:23:07

Can you register with one of the big agencies? Once you're on their books properly, it offers some security to prospective employees because they will have taken up your references and ensured you have a dbs check.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Fri 03-Jul-15 14:24:57

And I love Leigh Halfpenny wish it was my real name

AMcoffeeLover Fri 03-Jul-15 15:36:05

Childcare.co.uk never worked for me (had plenty of people with no children contacting me through there about "daddy time" shock )
An agency is the only way. Sign up to multiple ones and you'll get something soon ( I had 3 Weeks from leaving old job to signing new contract)

Ebb Fri 03-Jul-15 17:34:36

Have you looked on Nanny Job and Imperial Nannies?

AMcoffeeLover Fri 03-Jul-15 18:41:26

Tinies are great! Maybe try some of the smaller agencies that offer services to a specific area? I got my (best) job from a small 2 person agency, they have s great service, really got to know you and the families. More like employment match making than just childcare, if that makes sense?!

Nobloomingideapgornot Fri 03-Jul-15 18:48:53

Hi

What area are you moving to?

hesterton Fri 03-Jul-15 19:02:48

What about The Lady?

www.jobs.lady.co.uk/

AMcoffeeLover Fri 03-Jul-15 19:49:36

Do you have any other skills? I can ride so used to look in the Horse & Hound, they had quite a few nanny/groom jobs.
also indeed, job site and reed are all good to look at and free to join.

stressedoutnan Fri 03-Jul-15 23:10:31

wow thanks so so much to everyone who has suggested all these options!
So far I have looked on indeed, reed, gumtree, childcare.co.uk, findababysitter, UK. care.com, contacted tinies and imperial. I will check out some of the others that people have mentioned too.

nobloom Bristol

coffeelover I don't ride (allergic to horses actually!) I have so much experience I'm just struggling to actually find jobs.
In fact, someone posted on childcare.co.uk yesterday and I literally applied within an hour of it being up (I was refreshing all day) and she didn't even read my message and then today says sorry she has found someone now. I just don't understand when I must have applied so soon!

summerainbow Sat 04-Jul-15 07:08:32

So you Moving to new area .
do you know the areas that employ nannies
Remember money is tight
the main think I know Bristol is traffic is really bad
so you you going to have to area of city that wants nanny.

moooolah Sat 04-Jul-15 07:45:55

Bristol is very tough job market for nannies. Lots of highly experienced nannies all competing for the same job, you'll find one eventually but it will take time. Also there's only a very small area in Bristol where families have nannies.

stressedoutnan Sat 04-Jul-15 08:39:14

Is that Clifton mooolah ?

stressedoutnan Sat 04-Jul-15 08:40:23

Thanks summer rainbow, I am prepared to travel a little.

Can I ask what you meant by money is tight?

moooolah Sat 04-Jul-15 09:12:47

I'd say your 'hot spots' are Clifton, henleaze, Westbury on trym, stoke bishop, bishopston.. the 'nicer' areas that are close to the city centre.

Jobs further from the cc are few and far between and can be lonely.

stressedoutnan Sat 04-Jul-15 09:18:41

Thanks mooolah. I will be living close to the city centre so that's good. Now I just need to find something ... sad

redwool Sat 04-Jul-15 14:46:16

Avoid alphabet agency like the plague.

stressedoutnan Sat 04-Jul-15 16:28:18

Why redwool? I'd also looked on there! interested to know why. (I didn't apply for any on there)

redwool Sat 04-Jul-15 16:30:28

They were taken over a couple years back and are just in it for the money. . No taking care of the nannies or interest in matching the right family to right nanny. All about £££ and downright rude!

Ebb Sat 04-Jul-15 19:47:24

Stressed ask about Alphabet on the group you were added on recently. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now