Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Bonus for nanny

(12 Posts)
Girlsville Mon 29-Jun-15 18:42:48

I'm in the process of employing a new nanny (our previous one stayed with us for 5 years and is a much loved part of the family). I'm currently deciding what to offer salary wise, and was considering whether to offer some type of guaranteed bonus IE so it is a remuneration package rather than jut salary (in fact similar to how me and my husbands remuneration is structured). Has anyone else done this and how do you think it would go down with a potential many???

Girlsville Mon 29-Jun-15 18:43:07

Sorry, last word should have said nanny not many!

BreadmakerFan Mon 29-Jun-15 18:47:10

My bonus was a total surprise. I'd much rather have that than be told I'll get a bonus if X happens.

Booboostoo Mon 29-Jun-15 19:29:04

We were very keen to have someone stay with us long term so we offered our nanny a bonus for every year she worked for us. Is that the kind of thing you had in mind?

nannynick Mon 29-Jun-15 21:18:11

Not sure what you really intend to do.

I would just set the salary and set a point where you review that salary.
Then if you decide at any point in the year that they have gone beyond the call of duty, you could do a surprise bonus or indeed increase their pay rate. You could also change the pay rate at the annual review.

Nannies will want to know what they will earn, so I would not complicate things by having some kind of formal bonus system.

Girlsville Mon 29-Jun-15 22:09:32

Thank you all for your feedback.

Limpetsmum Wed 01-Jul-15 08:52:54

I've never given my nanny a 'bonus'. What kind of figures are we talking here?

Girlsville Wed 01-Jul-15 10:58:02

I also never gave my previous nanny a bonus but was just thinking about it for the new one... As for figures I am not sure what it would be as I am just negotiating her salary now. Looks from all the posits as if the bonus idea would no go down well so I may shelve it .

Ideal76 Wed 15-Jul-15 11:59:00

I have always as a nanny been given a generous bonus every Christmas , or on my yearly anniversaries . Always made me feel hugely appreciated . Was never expected either or in my contract .

JaneAustinAllegro Wed 15-Jul-15 14:33:11

we've always given Christmas bonus and often a holiday bonus but never contractually - what do you hope to achieve with making it mandatory for you to pay it? make it a reward for good performance in the same way that presumably yours is performance related from your own employer.

PowerPantsRule Thu 16-Jul-15 00:22:21

I give a yearly bonus at Christmas, generally around five days' pay, but would not put it into the contract. I have given a holiday bonus in the past too, as a way of acknowledging nanny's hard work with the children over the long summer break...

ChipsOnChips Thu 16-Jul-15 17:50:37

I give an annual bonus - It's approximately 1.5 x monthly salary, payable after each year if nanny is still employed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now