Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Contract Help

(14 Posts)
Nannyme22 Wed 24-Jun-15 22:18:52

I've been offered a position and the standard contract from the agency came through.. can't say I'm a huge fan of it but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to add ?
Should I had if family travels over their share of holiday allowance I still get paid or is that common knowledge?

what is standard holidays these days? I've been given 20 days plus all bank holidays, two weeks choice each is this correct?

I know I should be agreeing gross salary so want to change that.. does it benefit me or hinder them in any way if they ask for a reason why I want gross?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Nannyme22 Wed 24-Jun-15 22:20:41

sorry forget it also says that they won't contribute to any pensions found that quite weird to be in a standard contract from an agency surely they should be supporting nannies getting this and not telling parents not to do it.

FlorenceMattell Wed 24-Jun-15 23:13:12

Statutory holiday is 5.6 weeks per year , this can include bank holidays.
Will you be working Mon to Fri ?
If they agree Net they are responsible for paying any tax and NI on top of that.
Make sure that any extra holiday they take is addressed. Can you afford to only be paid for x weeks per year?
Pension will be compulsory soon if you earn over certain amount.
All info will be in Gov sites I would Google.

eeyore12 Thu 25-Jun-15 07:25:46

Yes if they go away /don't need you for more than their allocated amount of hol you get paid in full (make sure it is in the contact) also how they want the holiday split. If you work mon to fri then 20 days plus bank hold works out as the 5.6 weeks but if you work less days you need it worded as 5.6 weeks. You need a gross amount in your contract -then not only can you prove your total income if needed for mortage etc but also when the government increase the tax free amount you can earn each year the little bit extra a month goes into your pocket not theirs same works the other way if they ever decrease the tax free pint they won't end up paying out more. Also they will know exactly how much a year they will be paying out.

electionfatigue Thu 25-Jun-15 11:12:43

it also says that they won't contribute to any pensions

Does it say they don't currently offer a pension now (which is fine, they don't have to) or that they never will (which will be illegal soon).

Nannyme22 Thu 25-Jun-15 11:47:42

Thanks for the replies.

Election it says the employer does not operate or participate in any pension scheme or similar arrangements applicable to the nannies employment.
If I sign that does that mean when it does become a requirement they then don't have to do it?

nbee84 Thu 25-Jun-15 12:18:32

I don't think so. My understanding of it is that an employee can decide to opt out but an employer cannot decide not to offer it.

Hoppinggreen Thu 25-Jun-15 12:31:40

They have to offer you a pension as its becoming a legal requirement.
Look up Auto enrolment - it was onMoneybox live on R4 a few weeks ago.
I think they specifically mentioned Nannies

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 25-Jun-15 17:15:35

if you are starting a job now they dont have to offer to nov 2017 - who knows if you will still be in that job then, tho hope so

never assume anything is common knowledge, always put in contract, then both sides now where they stand

Nannyme22 Thu 25-Jun-15 19:20:30

Thanks very much all very helpful.
My current boss was looking over it for me and she picked up on a weird clause they are only doing SSP and in the next point they have said in the event I am injurred by a third party and get a pay out I have to pay that back???
I could maybe understand if it was out if their pocket but SSP? My boss is 99.9% since its SSP that's ridiculous but she said I should check so do any of you lovely people have any ideas?

SecretSpy Thu 25-Jun-15 19:27:16

That's normal - applies to other occupational sick pay schemes too.

So if you get sick pay after being off with a car accident and then get a £10k payout they can ask you to repay the SSP costs as you have received money to cover your costs. SSP is no longer repaid from the government, your employer pays that themselves AFAIK

Nannyme22 Thu 25-Jun-15 19:29:23

Thanks secretspy I thought it was still paid by government as did my current boss which is why it was questioned.

SecretSpy Thu 25-Jun-15 20:15:02

www.gov.uk/employers-sick-pay/help-with-sick-pay

electionfatigue Thu 25-Jun-15 20:17:53

SSP no longer paid by govt. AFAIK once compulsory pension comes in they'll have to offer it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now