Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Am I being fair? After school nanny

(5 Posts)
whinetaster Wed 24-Jun-15 20:15:16

We currently employ an after school nanny for our DD 4 days a week (total 16 hours), one hour in the morning and 3 in the evening. Total £136 per week net.
In Sept she will also have DS.

Is it usual to give an increase for looking after an additional child? She currently gets £10 per hour net in the morning and £8 per hour net in the evening. We plan to go to £10.50 per hour in the morning and £10 an hour in the evening.

My hours are also changing- I will be working 5 days but starting early and finishing early and picking up the children myself twice a week. Nanny is happy with this as she's an early riser so this suits her better and she gets two afternoons off. In total we'd need only 13 hours childcare a week, which comes to £132 at the higher rates of pay (so a tiny bit less than she currently earns but for 3 fewer hours.). However, paying her less didn't feel right, and given that we now need a bit more flexibility (she may need to stay later occasionally as my work demands) we've rounded this up to a flat rate of £140 per week, with any additional hours at £10 per hour.

So as not to drip feed, she has another job for 5 hours each day when the children are at school. We pay all tax and NI through nanny payroll.

Does this sound fair? I want to pay the right amount and do the right thing by her. Thanks!

PinkPearlClutcher Wed 24-Jun-15 21:37:13

I think you're currently paying a little low, but the new rate sounds very fair. More money for less hours, you can't argue with that!

I hope it works out for you.

whinetaster Wed 24-Jun-15 21:57:06

Thank you! Yes, since looking at these boards I've realised £8 is a bit low- I was new to all this when I started and that was the rate suggested by the nanny. I'm feeling happier paying a better rate - she's lovely and it's all working well so fingers crossed!

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 24-Jun-15 21:59:24

Ditto pearl. Now you are paying more for less hours

Seems good

When you say ds - do you mean a baby - or another school aged child

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 24-Jun-15 22:01:52

She may do less hours but has increased a day - so now she works 5 and and 3 pms?

If nanny was happy with £8 then fine

Rem to gross it as part time and has another job

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now