Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Registering as a childminder

(10 Posts)
legolegolego Mon 22-Jun-15 13:24:08

Hi, I'm sorry I know this is done to death but I have a couple of questions I've not seen an answer to yet.

Firstly, if I was to register as a childminder now, could I keep the registration sort of ticking over and have it there ready when I decide to start taking clients?

Secondly, do I need to register at a specific address and therefore be already living in the address before I can register?

And thirdly, is it possible to register in a rented flat/house?

I'm currently a live-in nanny but I would like to become a childminder. But obviously I can't register at my current home and it may take some time to find a suitable place to live, set it up for childminding and then start finding clients. If I could register while I'm still working as a live-in nanny, then it would take one thing off the list.


nannynick Mon 22-Jun-15 15:19:50

Yes can have no children on roll for up to 3 years.
Yes an inspection of the home is part of registration process.
Yes, with landlords permission.

legolegolego Mon 22-Jun-15 15:54:42

So, do you think I could do all of registration process except house check and sort of 'pause' it for up to 3 years? Or is the home check not necessarily at the end of registration process?

nannynick Mon 22-Jun-15 16:17:28

No, you can not do the registration process until you have a property to use.
Once you are registered, then you could not mind children for up to 3 years.
So you could buy somewhere and live there at weekends and still do live in nannying mon-fri.

legolegolego Mon 22-Jun-15 16:18:42

Ah that's a great idea, thanks Nick

sharonpain Wed 24-Jun-15 21:38:50

Pressured into having my pre-registration visit this Friday due to a deadline?? I have two days to prepare and am nowhere near ready! HELP!

Maryann1975 Wed 24-Jun-15 22:30:03

Sharon, I have no idea what you need to show at a pre registration visit. What do you need to prepare? If I know that, I might be able to offer a few ideas/tips to help you out.

foolonthehill Thu 25-Jun-15 20:12:03


think safety. You don;t have to be safe yet but you have to show that you are in the process and have thought about making your home safe for the age of children you will be minding.

particular areas are....
Front and back doors and gates...keys, locks, bolts and door chains
kitchen safety....knives, chemicals, hotplates, alcohol
Stairs... gates or policy of supervision,
pets..hygiene and safety and hygiene
Living/play areas...hazards eg hearths and open fires, candles, air fresheners, ornaments, cupboards and shelving,
Graden...poisonous plants, tricky steps, compost, dog poo......
windows...openings, locks and security
Sleeping, safe sleep areas, cots/gates/ bedding.

personal information...check identity and DBS, first aid , introduction to child minding course and safeguarding course. Food hygiene if your council deems it necessary

EYFS...check you are aware of EYFS requirements and ready to deliver if you plan to work with this age group. Discuss plans to safeguard and educate your charges,

If they feel you are not ready they will fail you and give another date to inspect.
If you are nearly ready you will get a letter that gives list of things to be done that you sign and return when completed.

If you really aren't ready then tell them and cancel their's a waste of everyone's time otherwise BUT don;t expect them to work to your timetable. if they are in the area they will try to fit you in...but they may not return for a while.#
Good luck

Ternet Tue 30-Jun-15 22:56:46

I think the earlier post was meant to scare you; it would have scared me. I am a previous Norland Nanny and have been Childminding for more than twenty years. You can work towards everything you may require to gain your Inspection re first aid, scheme of excellence etc and continue training towards offering a quality care provision prior to starting your Childminding Business. You can Childmind in a rented accommodation or flat if the property is Inspectorate safe. Concentrate on the Business side until you have a permanent base to work at, which gives you a goal, then work on making a safe, welcoming environment where children can learn through play. A good Inspecting Officer will be only too pleased to assist you through the process; and help along the way.

foolonthehill Thu 02-Jul-15 16:21:15

not meant to scare...just realistic. I am a CM. I have been inspected.

If they pressurise you into being inspected and you are not ready then it is better to refuse and say you are not ready and get a date which is realistic.Not to try to do the impossible in a couple of days. in any case the inspection has been and gone by now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: