Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Ad hoc childcare - help needed

(20 Posts)
Charlottejo Thu 18-Jun-15 17:59:25

I am planning to return to work for three days a week in September and am looking for a flexible childcare option. The reason for this is my partner will be able to look after our son on some of these days (though his shifts vary week to week) and my mum will be able to take the odd day too. So we need a childminder who can be flexible about the number of days a week they will work, with a week or so notice. Is this a realistic hope on our part? All recommendations and advice welcome!

YonicScrewdriver Thu 18-Jun-15 18:02:24

How old is your child?

I think it's quite unrealistic TBH, you may be ok with a minder who mainly does after school care but is happy to add a bit of weekly care - but she/he might not be available every day you need in any given week.

grabaspoon Thu 18-Jun-15 18:04:40

I would book 2 regular days with childcare with the 3rd day being the day that your husband/mum share

grabaspoon Thu 18-Jun-15 18:09:47

To say. I am a nanny and mu bosses wanted to rely on 2 sets of grandparents to help out 1 day a week alternate weeks with me working 4 days. However there have been several days where the grandparents haven't been able to come illness/holiday/other commitments/double booked and I've had to step in. This sometimes means working 5 days this sometimes wirking 4 days but diffetent days to usual. This has somwtimes been told in advamce although sometimes its with little warning; if I'd had another job I would have had to say I can't help meaning 1 parent would have had to take time off work instead of having meetings etc. You NEED regular stable childcare in place unless you're willing to deal with no childcare when you really need it.

Karoleann Thu 18-Jun-15 22:08:19

Its very unlikely you'd be able to get a childminder/nursery/nanny who would be able to commit to an ad hoc childcare schedule. Although a lot of nurseries do have Fridays slots available at short notice.
You need to have a re-think and maybe use your mum for the ad-hoc days and the nurseries for the scheduled days.

PinkPearlClutcher Fri 19-Jun-15 12:06:24

I think you'll struggle to find someone who will do this.

I think your only option would be to pay for the three days and occasionally not use them. At least you know you've always got childcare (whether it be nursery/nanny/childminder).

fieldfare Fri 19-Jun-15 12:13:07

That's not something I'd be able to accommodate unfortunately. You'd be better off booking two regular days with a childminder and having your dh or grandparent cover the other one between them.

minderjinx Fri 19-Jun-15 17:05:16

I offer ad hoc places - but that means if I have a space on a given day and you want one, I can agree to care for your child. It's not ad hoc for you and a firm commitment for me - it's mutually ad hoc.

If you wanted me to reserve a space and turn any other enquiries away, I would of course ask you to pay (otherwise people would just ask to be pencilled in for weeks on end on the off chance they might need the odd day). Unlike some jobs where you might be able to squeeze in an extra customer occasionally, childcare is of course quite strictly regulated, particularly the adult:child ratios, so it is illegal to take on an extra child which takes you over that ratio and so if I did agree to reserve a place for free I might then have to turn away a paying customer - rather like zero hours contracts for employees.

PhoebeMcPeePee Fri 19-Jun-15 22:21:26

It's not something I could offer either unfortunately especially for an under 3 where places are limited. I would recommend at least having 1 but possibly 2 fixed days a week and rely on your mum/oh to cover any extra care.

Ericamike Fri 26-Jun-15 21:15:33

Hi I'm looking for a DBS registered childminder to drop my child at reigate priory and pick her up Monday to Friday , she is 6 years old

CountryLovingGirl Sat 27-Jun-15 17:04:32

Hi,
I work 3 days a week and my husband works full time shifts. Our childminder is quite happy to work ad hoc. She does it for all the other parents too.
Her husband gets a military pension and works full time. They also have no mortgage so this may be why she can afford to do it ad hoc.

jelliebelly Sat 27-Jun-15 17:31:06

You'd struggle to find anything do ad-hoc I think. Would also be very confusing for all involved. I second the comment up thread about booking 2 fixed days per week and covering the 3rd ad-hoc between dh and gp.

Helcel7 Sun 05-Jul-15 10:42:10

Hello ladies, I'm new to musnet. Pls forgive me for butting in and changing the subject but I have a question regarding childcare during the summer holidays... What do. U do with your children?

Bythebeach Sun 05-Jul-15 10:50:09

I don't use it but the Tops Nursery at the hospital where I work allows you to book days/hours a week or more in advance due to all the hospital shift work so lots of kids don't have "regular" days. Is there a hospital nursery close to you that may do that? I think the nursery is cheaper for hospital workers but open to all.

jimijack Sun 05-Jul-15 10:53:08

Hi Helcel, I have used school holiday clubs, grandparents, taken leave and generally struggled during school holidays.
Our local sports centre does sports clubs, 9-4 kind of thing, these are great and reasonable in price.

Starlightbright1 Sun 12-Jul-15 10:08:10

I am a childminder and have one child on flexible hours and only because I had them from a tiny baby do I continue ( she wasn't flexible hours when she started) . I have previously looked after a child whose rota changed every 3 months and the parents paid me a minimum hours.

Oly4 Tue 14-Jul-15 16:10:42

A friend of mine uses a childminder who has been happy to do as hoc for years. Have a look, you never know!

anewyear Thu 16-Jul-15 19:40:36

As with minderjinx,
I work in Pre School every morning till 1pm.

So therefore I only mind After Schoolers now.
I personally, prefer to Childmind up to 4 at any one time, My choice...

However I have/will take Ad Hoc children if they fit in with the hours I Childmind and will not take me over 6.

ProudAS Sat 25-Jul-15 08:35:27

What about a nursery near a hospital. They often cater for children of shift workers.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 25-Jul-15 09:40:16

Book 2 days with cm and 3rd day split with gp and Childs dad

Cm can't be that flexible as means your child will be using a space on a day so can't take any others permatley

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now