Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Going rate for teen babysitter?

(14 Posts)
MadameLeBean Tue 16-Jun-15 21:16:29

What is usual these days? 15 yr old picking DD (10) up from school making an easy dinner and staying for 3 hours till 9.30/10ish. Is £5 an hour too little? I feel like that's what I got 15 years ago. I was going to offer £10 per hour?

lovelynannytobe Tue 16-Jun-15 23:55:21

£10h plus dinner plus lift/taxi home. That's not babysitting btw. Check with school they're ok to release your child to another minor and bear in mind you will be held responsible if anything happens as you are the responsible adult not the 15 year old ....

MadameLeBean Wed 17-Jun-15 03:42:43

Thanks. In a year DD will be 11 and at that age I was making my own way to and from school, I don't see an issue with a sensible teen walking her the short distance home but I get your point about responsibility

ClearEyesFullHearts Wed 17-Jun-15 04:05:54

That seems a lot to look after one (probably fairly self-sufficient) child. We pay £6/hr for three KS2 children. Granted, there's no cooking involved, but £10 seems too high.

catlovingdoctor Wed 17-Jun-15 04:26:16

£6/h is less than minimum wage- to look after 3 kids of such a vulnerable age and be in total responsibility for their welfare?

lovelynannytobe Wed 17-Jun-15 07:34:54

£10 is fair as it is not babysitting more like evening afterschool nannying as it involves collecting the child and cooking. Babysitting is when I come to somebody's house and the children are in bed or ready to go to bed. £6 is very low even for a babysitter ...

hibbledibble Wed 17-Jun-15 11:58:07

For a 15 year old I think 10/hour is pretty high. Under 16s have no minimum wage, and for over 16s it is barely over 3/hour.

I think 6/hour would be reasonable. Have you asked her what she expects or what other families pay her?

ClearEyesFullHearts Wed 17-Jun-15 12:09:43

£6/h is less than minimum wage- to look after 3 kids of such a vulnerable age and be in total responsibility for their welfare?

Yep. The youngest is 8 and could easily whip up scrambled eggs on toast for the babysitter, if necessary.

And £6 is only below minimum wage for those 21 and over, I believe. Plus it's cash in hand so I presume the babysitter doesn't mind.

At least, her parents, who live down the road and are on call in case of true disaster, don't seem to think she minds.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Wed 17-Jun-15 12:12:19

£5 per hour seems like ample to me. That would be £30 a session (3pm to 9pm). Riches for your average 15yo, especially if in a regular basis

MrsLeighHalfpenny Wed 17-Jun-15 12:13:32

£5 per hour seems like ample to me. That would be £30 a session (3pm to 9pm). Riches for your average 15yo, especially if in a regular basis

Cindy34 Wed 17-Jun-15 12:18:12

What about doing a set amount for it such as £20.
Certainly ask them what they want.
If DD is allowed out of school on her own, then arrange for her to be met at the school gate. Otherwise you will need to arrange with school and they may not release to an under 16.

minderjinx Wed 17-Jun-15 13:10:10

I'd offer/expect to pay twenty pounds. It is definitely more work than babysitting and it is a regular responsibility which will stop her doing other things after school. I'd say £5 an hour would be reasonable for babysitting with kids asleep, freedom to do homework or whatever she wants and no cooking etc, plus I expect a typical babysit would be four or five hours plus a taxi or lift home. I'd ask what she would charge and see if your expectations are close.

BeaufortBelle Wed 17-Jun-15 13:21:51

At 15 dd used to get £5.50ph from a neighbour to go over and help with three under fives for two hours a couple of times a week.

dd is now 17 and gets between £6 and £7.50 ph from most families. We are in London. dd has quite a regular little round and gets more work because she is reliable and doesn't ask for silly money. The au-pairs/nannies round here ask about £9-£10 I hear.

The plus side is that she also has references.

Maryann1975 Thu 18-Jun-15 23:12:01

I think I should become a teenage babysitter. At £10ph I'd be raking it in! I'm a qualified and registered cm charging £3.50 per child including all meals and activities. I Often think I'm in the wrong job.
I think £5ph, round here would be sufficient for teenage babysitting, employment opportunities for 15 year olds are limited i imagine, you seem to be offering far better conditions than doing a paper round or example and I think £5 would be fine. Minimum wage for under 18s is £3.79 so £5 puts them in quite a good deal.
I think it maybe depends where you live though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now