Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminders - WWYD?

(11 Posts)
ZuleikaD Fri 12-Jun-15 18:11:47

One of my clients is an academic and has a two month sabbatical this year. She wants to keep sending her child to me when she gets back, but I don't really know what to do about fees while they're away. If they went down to a retainer I couldn't really afford to hold the place open, but it seems a bit unreasonable to charge full fees. WWYD?

HSMMaCM Fri 12-Jun-15 21:17:02

I've charged full fee where I couldn't afford to do anything else. It's nice to offer a retainer if you can, but I couldn't.

Maryann1975 Fri 12-Jun-15 21:29:45

Have you spoken to the parent about what they are expecting you to do fees wise while they are away?
If I couldn't afford to charge only a retainer, I wouldnt, but if you are confident you could find another family who would be as reliable as this one, then it's a chance you could take.
Round here there isn't a great demand for Childminders so if the family was happy to pay a retainer I would be happy too, I probably would struggle to fill the place and if the family are good (pay on time, don't mess you around etc) I wouldn't want to lose them.

kathryng90 Fri 12-Jun-15 22:51:23

I have a family like this but I took on the child on the understanding that they wouldn't attend July and August and I wouldn't charge. I just charge a slightly higher hourly rate. Just about evens out over the year but parent sees it as a plus that they pay nothing for the 2 months so everyone is happy.

ZuleikaD Sat 13-Jun-15 14:04:57

Well, they're thinking about going down to two days from four, as well, which does make them a less attractive proposition. I have some other people interested and I'm also wondering whether to just cut my losses and give them notice.

luckylou Sat 13-Jun-15 14:58:04

In similar circumstances I have charged full fee for the whole time the family was away.

Have you discussed it with the parent?

It would be very unreasonable to expect her childminder to take a cut in pay because she is taking a sabbatical (presumably on full pay).

Once I had a family who were going to be away for three months, and who wanted to keep the place but didn't want to pay when they weren't using it; they decided to resign their place and risk it not being available when they got back. It wasn't.

ButtonMoon88 Sat 13-Jun-15 16:12:15

Completely depends upon how in demand CM are in your area!! I would allow the cut down for two days, but make it clear that you are looking to find someone else for other days

ButtonMoon88 Sat 13-Jun-15 16:13:33

Sorry posted too soon...your client then may decide to keep current hours or not. I know that I could fill my empty hours within a week though so I don't worry about parents leaving/cutting hours.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 14-Jun-15 20:13:39

If she wants the space then she needs to pay

She is prob being paid for her sabbatical so she needs to pay you

adp73 Mon 15-Jun-15 11:46:10

She would have to pay full fee. It is the parents holiday doesn't make any difference if it is 2 weeks or 2 months.

minderjinx Mon 15-Jun-15 14:11:30

"They are thinking about going down to two days from four". Well maybe they are, but have they asked you, and are you happy with that proposal? You have a contract which you do not have to agree to alter unless it suits you too.

Have they said they don't expect to pay for the extended leave/sabbatical? I imagine they will be paid so I don't see why you should be out of pocket. I think I would take the line that of course they would need to continue to pay fees if they want the place kept open (and if not, they meed to give notice and take their chances on a place being available later) but why not continue to use the childcare at least some of the time to keep the child settled and parents have some childfree time for shopping, chores or whatever else they might want to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now