Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Trying to register Nanny with Ofsted - very confused

(10 Posts)
Ruperta Tue 09-Jun-15 14:44:12

Can anyone help, I seem to be hitting a brick wall

I want to register our nanny with Ofsted. To do this I think she needs to do a caring for a child in own home course. She is already paediatric first aid trained & has CRB check.

I've rung my local Family information Service to try and find out where she can do the course but just got an answering machine, every route I take on the automated Ofsted system seems to end with the phone hung up. I'm getting so frustrated.

Does anyone know how I arrange registering with Ofsted, how do I get the nanny on the course and where is the application form - arrrggghhh!

TranmereRover Tue 09-Jun-15 14:47:52

our nanny did it by some online course run by the local authority. They also offered it as a one day intensive, which runs very frequently.

littleladyluna Tue 09-Jun-15 19:41:05

I had to do a Common Core Skills course for Ofsted. Then followed the instructions for applying for my DBS through the Ofsted (Capita) website.

Cindy34 Wed 10-Jun-15 06:12:46

BAPN.org.uk has a guide for nannies on how to complete the DBS check and Ofsted registration form. That may come in handy for later on. Their CRB will not be accepted, since Sept 2014 the rules changed and it has to be a DBS on Update Service.

They need to have training at Level 2 or Common Core Skills. Alas no list of exactly what courses are accepted. The home based childcare course from PACEY would be accepted, so they could certainly do that.
MNT do a common core course via distance learning, think BabyEm does one as well.

Will need nanny insurance. Easy to get if aged 21 or over, not so easy if under 21. PACEY and NannyInsure I think will do it for under 21's. Is age going to be an issue?

nannynick Wed 10-Jun-15 12:18:32

The forms are online. Google Ofsted Portal to get the login page for the reg form.
use the BAPN guide to help complete the form.

Training sounds your main issue, does your nanny have any childcare training?

Tomuchcake Thu 11-Jun-15 01:12:35

Will she be working in your home?

If do, all she has to do is register on the 'voluntary ' part of the Ofsted register.

Best thing to do, ring OFSTED

eeyore12 Thu 11-Jun-15 10:56:39

Yes but to register on the voluntary register she needs to have core common skills qualification or at least level 2 in childcare, first aid, tracked Dbs and nanny Insurance.

Artandco Thu 11-Jun-15 11:00:27

The common core skills is a one day course

Ruperta Fri 12-Jun-15 12:55:26

Thanks everyone, brulliant help (much more helpful than my local family information service!). She already has revognised first aid training & DBS so I'll just get her on the one day course and then start tge ball rolling

eeyore12 Fri 12-Jun-15 15:33:00

Has she registered her Dbs for the tracking system? If not and it is more than (I think) 19 days old she will need to apply for anyone and make sure it is registered for tracking before she applies to ofsted. She will need to get her insurance but that is active near enough straight enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now