Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au pair costs - first timer

(5 Posts)
notquitegrownup2 Mon 08-Jun-15 15:48:54

Living in a rural location with teenagers, my friend has asked me to post here as she is considering her options, and she isn't a member of MN - yet! Her main childcare requirement for help with taxying two teens in the evenings - collecting to/from tennis matches, delivering to Scouts - probably one hour dropping off four evenings a week - so maximum eight half hour journeys a week?

There would be no other daytime duties, other than a little light cleaning. The house is rather remote but their next door neighbour has an outdoor heated swimming pool which s/he would be welcome to use in summer - they use it mostly at weekends. It's a nice area for cycling, and the town nearby - 4 miles away - has language courses/cinemas/museums/ice rinks.

If she paid "pocket money" (is £70 per week too little/too much?) plus board and lodgings, does that sound reasonable - she would have use of the car in evenings.

She might be bored with so little to do, but could volunteer in a charity shop/at a school for extra experience, or even work shifts in a bar/pub!

We presume that you provide mobile phone too? Anything else she has missed?

Thank youuuuu

lovelynannytobe Mon 08-Jun-15 19:04:44

I think if it's just for taxing why not ring a taxi company to see if she could strike up a deal. A lot of companies offer drop off and pick up service for children. I used to use one when I was a childminder as my circumstances changed and I was no longer able to drive to school but parents didn't want the children to move childcare. It would cut out all the hassle having another adult living with them and all the drama that comes with it ....

notquitegrownup2 Thu 11-Jun-15 16:21:41

Thank you, lovelynanny! Yes, that thought did eventually come to me n the middle of the night too blush Will definitely suggest it to her!

Karoleann Thu 11-Jun-15 21:14:28

Can I just add, that for insurance reasons she needs to get someone over 22 who has been driving for at least 3 years.

Your friend may also need to register as an employer, if she's suggesting that her au pair get another job, she would need to declare her earnings to get full use of the au pair's tax free allowance. Or the other job would use all that up (I hope that makes sense).

But yes, otherwise if there is no morning work at all, I think £70 +mobile is fair. She would also need use of the car during non-working times.

Liberated71 Thu 11-Jun-15 21:20:10

Cost me my marriage! Tawdry but true shock

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: