Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny

(9 Posts)
Cyclemor3 Sat 16-May-15 00:55:37

Hi,

I am looking to become a nanny and wondering if you guys would mind giving me some feedback on the text of an advert i wrote. im asking for this as i have dyslexia, and so it reads ok to me but you you as mums and care givers what does it ready like?

the text i wrote has a picture next to it and was:

"My Summary
Part Time NannyLive Out Nanny
Night Nanny CRB Check
After School NannyNanny Housekeeper
First Aid TrainingEvening Babysitter
Weekend BabysitterDaytime Babysitter
Newborn Experience

About Me
My name is Sara, I am 26, and live in edinburgh, I speak English and very basic Swedish as I lived in Sweden.
I love cycling and teach children to ride bikes in edinburgh schools.
I am currently looking to work with children again,and am happy to cook, and a little basic housework too however i will not cook meat fisk or poultry as i am vegetarian.

My Experience
I am comfortable with a range of children as a live out au pair. I am happy to work with toddlers and children up to the age of 12 as I have done so in Sweden for a range of families and including a very private family and a lone parent over the course of 18 months.
I am used to caring for 3 and 4 year olds, more than older children and prefer the younger age groups for the challenge and the creativity required. I used to take the children to different groups events and to play in a range of settings with younger children providing an engaging and educational environment.

I have a First aid Certificate an PVG certificate, and am aware of basic food safety once employed i will upgrade the food safety certificate. I will also work towards formal childcare qualifications.

My Qualifications
I have a first aid certificate, and a full PVG check. I am currently working on gaining formal childcare qualification's.

My Availability
I currently have full availability day and night.

My Fees
I change £7 an hour for the first 5 hours and £8 an hour after 7pm"

DragonRojo Sat 16-May-15 06:37:08

hello. There are quite a few typos and spelling mistakes. You will need to thoroughly proofread it.

I would cut down the text a lot. For example: happy to cook vegetarian food, rather than the whole explanation about fish, poultry, etc

DragonRojo Sat 16-May-15 06:42:34

if you are a nanny, then you would not charge, but rather negotiate a salary. The family needs to pay for your tax, etc. BTW, you wrote "change" instead of "charge". Your pricing structure is confusing, anyway. What happens after the 5th hour if you have started work at 7am?

Karoleann Sat 16-May-15 08:26:22

In about me - two of the i need to be changed into I. fisk needs to be changed into fish (although I agree with the comment about just putting vegetarian food). Need a comma after meat.

My experience

First sentence doesn't make sense. I wouldn't put about the 3/4 year olds as it cuts your market down even further.

Next paragraph needs either a full stop after safety, or the next bit removing. You have repeated that you will be working on gaining qualifications. Remove the apostrophe after the second qualifications.

You need to mention references too and get them translated into English if they are in Swedish.

Cindy34 Sat 16-May-15 12:57:02

I would remove any mention about live-out aupair. Just say how long you have worked with children.

The aim of a profile on an internet site is to get parents to contact you, so they can tell you more about the position they are offering. You can then go into more detail with them via the sites messaging service/email, such as sending them a CV if so requested.

Cindy34 Sat 16-May-15 13:02:37

Food safety bit is not really relevant, not many parents want to know about that, least not at this early stage. Focus more on your experience as it looks like you have no formal qualifications in childcare/education so you are wanting to sell yourself on experience alone.

It is good that you have mentioned you are keen to do training. However some training courses can be two years at college, so may not be possible to do that whilst in a full time nanny job.
In England there is now only one childcare qualification, called Early Years Educator. Not sure what is happening in Scotland but you may find that there is now only one suitable course run by colleges.

Cindy34 Sat 16-May-15 13:06:50

Try to cut down on what you are actually offering to do. You seem to have quite a list... Are you really a Night Nanny - have experience with newborn babies and sleep training?

Fees... You can give a general idea of the salary which you might be willing to accept, give a range such as £8-12, or whatever.

If you decide to include Babysitting on the same profile, then specify that fees are for Evening Babysitting only. Such as:
Evening Babysitting (Edinburgh area): £7 per hour, minimum of 3 hours.

(Or whatever your minimum would be. Hardly worth your while travelling if someone only wants a babysitter for an hour.)

Do you drive? Have I missed any mention of that?

Cindy34 Sat 16-May-15 13:10:58

If you are not willing to cook fish or meat, then I don't think being a nanny is really a job for you as cooking for children is often part of the job.

How have you found it so far with your past work?

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 16-May-15 21:32:20

You seem a little confused as what role you are looking for - a night nanny - nanny - hk-

You can not be a live out au pair

Unlikely to get a night nanny role as you need new born experience /quals

You would be better off starting off as a mother help - shared care job

Not cooking meat /fish - as in working only for a veggie family will seriously cut down the jobs you can apply for - to gain any food qual uou will be cooking meat and fish - to show how and make sure not under cooked and raw /dangerous - so if you won't cook it then likely you won't pass

£7 is that gross? Always quote gross

And the gumph about you - take a lot of it out - too much woffle

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now