Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Babysitters - what would you expect?

(15 Posts)
Jinxxx Sat 09-May-15 18:20:40

If somebody booked you to babysit from 7 and then sent an email at 615 saying can we make that 730? would you still expect to get paid from 7?

I suspect that they now expect either to pay me less or get back later, which I don't really think is on at this short notice. They were late back last time and didn't offer any extra so I am already not best pleased, but I don't want to jump to conclusions about what they intend and I'd be interested to know if moving the goalposts is par for the course.

sockmatcher Sat 09-May-15 18:26:48

I'd pay from 7. I prefer to charge a set amount with time it covers until highlighted so any lateness paid extra for.

AlpacaMyBags Sat 09-May-15 18:36:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Sat 09-May-15 19:42:58

I have had this happen couple times and felt it isn't worth the argument for half hr money if likely to get repeat bookings but usually say I don't expect to be paid for the change in time on this occasion but would in future.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Sat 09-May-15 19:46:19

Sorry just 're read jinx and sounds like they have n o intention of paying from booked time and cheeky to email reply and say that's fine however I do have to leave at x time and the agreed amount of x remains the same.

It annoys me a little when timing is changed and think should make it clear if less than 24hrs notice then full rate for full time applies - should heed my own advice too smile

ImperialBlether Sat 09-May-15 19:52:30

Are you doing it through an agency?

Carrie5608 Sat 09-May-15 19:59:38

Ignore the email, turn up at 7 and just say "oh I don't check my emails much at the weekend".

It will then be more difficult for them to not pay from seven.

HSMMaCM Sat 09-May-15 20:03:14

When they come home, before they get their money out, say "that'll be £x"

Karoleann Sat 09-May-15 21:19:49

I'd also go with Carrie, way too short notice.

With most external sitters, we round up anyway and I think most people do.

Jinxxx Sat 09-May-15 23:42:06

Just got out. They DID come back late and they gave me a cheque for the exact money for the hours I sat, not what they booked. I hope they are pleased with themselves but I am going to be busy if they call in future.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 10-May-15 08:47:42

If they were back late last time I would have said that's £xxx for tonight please and if they gave me money before I had said it I would check it and say I've done 5hrs not 4 etc so an extra £10 (at my rates)

Yes would charge from 7 As that was the original booking and again if late back I would look at cheq and say it's more

Sounds like you need to avoid this family in future or tell them they owe you more

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 10-May-15 08:51:59

Plus I works be happy with cheqs for bs

A few years ago in a one day job I asked for cash as they didn't do bacs and for me (and prob most people) a cheq is hassle as have to go to bank and wait for it to clear 5days ish

They came home minus cash and offered me cheq and I said no they needed to go to a bank and get cash as that was our arrangement - and I also charge them an extra hour while they went to the bank to get the cash - well was on my time and they weren't going to take kids with them

Sounds harsh - but got my point across and yes they used me again and made sure they had cash

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 10-May-15 08:52:34

Fat fingers

Wouldn't be happy with a cheq blush

Araisaris Sun 10-May-15 08:54:15

What cheapskates. Don't they want a good relationship with the person who minds their DC? It baffles me.

I always pay the hourly rate for the hours and any part thereof and then round up to the nearest £5/£10. So, if I booked my sitter from 7.30 to 12 @£8 per hour I would pay her 5x£8 and add on a fiver as a goodwill gesture.

I really like my sitter and like how she deals with my DC so would never try to underpay her.

^^That was a bit longer than I intended grin

Jinxxx Sun 10-May-15 10:12:48

I am glad it's not just me. I do hate confrontation and would feel uncomfortable in someone else's home after feeling I had to get "assertive" with them, so I shall just vote with my feet and not go back

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now