Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childcare options

(8 Posts)
Bluegill Mon 09-Feb-15 19:43:22

Hi all, I could use some advice on childcare options for my 13 year old. I have a new job working from home but every other week I will have to work away from home and my working days will be long. I'm a bit worried my DS will be home for extended hours alone. He gets the benefit from me being home full time the following week but it's not ideal. I don't really have the money to pay for an au pair full time and will only need them two weeks a month after school. Any alternative options I can consider?

FishWithABicycle Mon 09-Feb-15 19:58:09

Will your working-away-from-home be every day? If it's 50% of the time you need covered that's a lot - too much to do without a formal solution.

Does his school not have any after-school options? Ours has a "homework club" for 11s-15s to go to the dining hall 3.30-5.30 and have a snack/do homework/play games if their parents work long hours and don't want them alone too long.

Could you arrange swaps with friends (possibly up go 5 one for each day of the week) that they come to yours in your weeks at home and ds goes through theirs in your week away?

Bluegill Mon 09-Feb-15 20:20:32

Thanks Fish, yes, they have homework club but I won't get home until around 8pm depending where I'm working that week. He doesn't have a big group of friends and those he does have only one family have him round at there home. I have friends locally but it's a lot to ask. I'm wondering if I could offer room and full board to a foreign student in exchange for a few hours 'babysitting' every fortnight. I'm not sure where to start with that one though,

jendot2 Mon 09-Feb-15 20:50:58

How about a college age student 'babysitter' ... Put ads on local facebook, street life or a card in your local shop.

anothernumberone Mon 09-Feb-15 20:55:21

Can he not come home himself after homework club. 6:30- 8 sounds ok at 13 if there are friends in the nieighbourhood he can ring in an emergency.

Bluegill Mon 09-Feb-15 21:17:21

A college student is an excellent idea. I can Facebook and a few of his friends have sixth form bothers so that might be a very good option. Another, yes he could come home alone but I would feel sad for him on his own. He hates being alone.

Bluegill Mon 09-Feb-15 21:17:51

Brothers not bothers.

Bluegill Mon 09-Feb-15 21:18:32

What kind of hourly rate might I offer?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: