Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Calling NWOC's with school age children

(8 Posts)
TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 02-Feb-15 14:41:39

How have you managed when your child(ren) have started school if the children of your employer have also been in school but elsewhere ?

I am getting a little ahead of myself but essentially unless my nanny moves house into our school catchment area [rents so not beyond the bounds] or one family signs up for breakfast club I can't see it working logistically beyond a certain point.

I'm certainly not sure what the employment law ramifications are - it's not a redundancy situation as we would still need a nanny but neither family have local support for school runs and there's a limit to how many places one person can be in simultaneously while relying on London transport to get there.......

What have you done? Have you been forced to resign/become a childminder in this scenario?

letsplayscrabble Mon 02-Feb-15 15:03:22

I think most people have something written into the contract that permission to bring the nanny's child is to be reviewed every 6 months / every year - so at the point where it will become a problem it's up to her to find a solution or sort out some other childcare.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 02-Feb-15 15:32:52

It will be her problem to sort but if I can help in any way I can.
I've noticed that you can use a childminders address to apply for a nursery place if you can show proof of a contract. I don't know what happens for an actual school place but I suspect it's not as flexible.

I can't find any admissions criteria that offer flexibility the other direction [based on the employers address]

chasingtherainbow Mon 02-Feb-15 15:34:43

It's her responsibility to sort. She will either have to give notice or work something out but it's not for you to worry or accommodate (nwoc here too)

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 02-Feb-15 18:11:39

Err - she's responsible for my kids Mon-Fri, they adore her and her daughter and we think she's fantastic. I don't want to lose her over a complicated school run sad

jendot2 Mon 02-Feb-15 18:32:31

Lovely to hear from someone who cares about their nanny smile

I would suggest breakfast club for nanny dd is probably the way to go if they are at different schools. Or a childminder local to school for 1/2 hour. She could apply for a place at your school and go on the waiting list, there are often spaces come up during the 1st year and a school move during reception isn't usually to traumatic.

OutragedFromLeeds Mon 02-Feb-15 19:52:53

I have a couple of friends in this situation. One got her child in to a school local to where she works (a 40 min drive from her house). She was completely honest with school i.e. she lives far away, but works here, is a single parent etc. They had space and her DC got in. This is in London, so it is possible. The school is the least good school in the area, but still a good enough school so she was happy. The second one sent her child to breakfast club and then used favours/after school clubs etc. for the after school pick-up.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 11-Feb-15 12:31:18

Update:
Gah - emailed the local state nursery and they sent back a lovely email and said that ordinarily no, but with a covering letter from both families that under the circs they would consider an application which is very nice.
Then got home to discover said nanny is pregnant and will start maternity leave at the same time so I imagine would definitely prefer a closer nursery to home smile with a newborn in tow.
It's brilliant news and I'm very pleased for her. In one way it potentially makes life simpler for the Autumn but we will all miss her and her DD1. Nursery is one thing but Primary school entrance is entirely another so I can't see a cat in hell's chance of her returning to work for us from mat leave as our kids [collectively 4 between 0 & 5] will definitely be in schools/nurseries 2+ miles apart which is pretty unworkable by bus/on foot in London.
Back to the drawing board - firstly to figure out what I need to do as an employer. New thread methinks grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: