Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What is the hourly rate for babysitter 2015?

(4 Posts)
Alwayswiththechords Sat 31-Jan-15 16:30:44

How much would you pay your babysitter if you need them to look after your child 1 full day, 8-9 hours? I'm not talking about professional regular childcare but a one-off babysitter, just interested in what is the average fee.

DearGirl Sat 31-Jan-15 16:34:03

As a salaried nanny I earn £10 per hour so £90 for a 9 hour day

However if I were to babysit I would charge £8 per hour so £72 for a 9hour babysit

Callaird Sat 31-Jan-15 17:13:16

Looking after a child whilst they are awake is not babysitting. As a nanny, calling us babysitters is very annoying!

It depends on how old your child is, where you are based and the degree of Quailfication/experience you require.

As an experienced nanny of 28 years, during the day I would charge £15 per hour gross, if the child is asleep I would charge £12.50 gross. This is based on the South East.

BackforGood Sat 31-Jan-15 17:53:33

On the other hand, if it is a 'one off' - say you are going to a wedding or a training course or anything you don't normally do, and are asking your local teen who normally sits for you when you go out to look after the dc for the day, and aren't looking for structured childcare, then it would be a lot less.

It will depend on how many dc you have, and ages, but U18s Min wage is £3.79 and for 18 - 21 yr olds is £5.13, so my 16 yr old would be more than happy with £35 for the day and my 18 yr old probably would too, to be honest, as, by the time he's had to pay train fare into the shop where he works, it takes away an hour's pay, then as long as you don't have 6 high maintenance dc he's be happy to play with the dc, watch a bit of tele, go to the park, etc, rather than "working" in a shop for £46 less a fiver for his train fare.

That's not to say a trained nanny should work for this, but my interpretation of your op isn't that you want regular childcare, it's more of a "what should I pay my babysitter for a one off, longer sit?"

As I say - will depend on how many children and how high their needs are though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now