Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is there a list of things I should know about employing a nanny one day a week?

(5 Posts)
GoogleyEyes Sat 31-Jan-15 13:18:51

Can anyone link me to a list of useful things I should know about employing a nanny? It would be one day a week.

I'm wondering not just about pay etc but also what are the usual hours (would 7.30am to 7.30pm be too much to ask for?), what level of control should I expect to have over things like the food she gives the kids, can I ask her to do something like put a load of washing on while the toddler naps etc?

Any advice would be fantastic!

nannynick Sat 31-Jan-15 14:33:41

Not sure there is a list of things.

Employment law advice can be found online from and AdviceGuide. Taxation information is available from and HMRC.
Immigration checks info is available from UKBA.

Pay level - look at what others are offering in the market. Sites like are useful for looking at nanny job adverts.

Agree a Gross Salary. Do not discuss Net (take home pay) as the person will have other income on other days and you have no idea what their individual financial circumstances are.

Talk to a nanny payroll company such as PAYEforNannies, ZestPayroll, NannyMatters, NannyPAYE, NannyTax to discuss how they can help you with the payroll if you do not fancy doing it yourself. They may also offer additional services such as Contract Writing and Employment Law Guidance.

Nannies work a variety of hours, some may do 5 hours a day, others may be 12. Advertise for what you need. Some nannies start very early, some finish very late.

Consider where someone will be living... how long would their commute be, how will they get to you - is car the only way. Do they need to drive as part of the job, will you provide a car or do they need to use their own. Is their car large enough to transport all your children?

You can have as much or little control as you like. The amount of control may change over time, initially you may want to dictate things but once you trust the nanny to just get on with things you may simply say that x, y z need doing.

One day a week is not much time to do many household tasks. If you want a cleaner, employ a cleaner. A nanny may stick a load in the washing machine, put the dishwasher on but that's probably about it when in a 1 day a week job unless there is a lot of child-free time.

A nanny gets paid holiday. 5.6 weeks is the minimum. Depending on their day of work there could be a lot of bank holidays (Mondays in particular cause a problem in this regard). Decide if you want your nanny to work on a bank holiday - make that clear at interview stage. Remember that Xmas and Boxing Day vary their day of the week, so even if nanny is not working on a Monday, they may still have a bank holiday some years. More about holiday entitlement is available from and ACAS.

Your nanny is there to care for your children but also there to make your life a bit easier. So don't be afraid to ask them to do something - you are the boss. Just be reasonable in your expectations, their primary role is care of children not to be your PA, Cleaner, Plumber, Electrician, Pest Exterminator, Chicken (and other livestock) Keeper, Dog Walker etc.

Make a list of the things you would like your ideal nanny to do.
Keep in mind that children grow up quickly, a napping toddler now won't be napping in 6 months, a year... at some point daytime naps get dropped. Their needs change, they become more active and need mental and physical stimulation.

GoogleyEyes Sat 31-Jan-15 15:37:21

That's incredibly useful, thank you!

The nanny would have three hours when the toddler is at preschool, then at least an hour while she naps, which is why I was thinking of other things she might do. Not cleaning, but maybe a bit of laundry sorting, unloading dishwasher, waiting in for Tescos and putting it away. That sort of thing.

Also, is cooking lunch and tea for the kids considered part of the job, or do I need to leave food ready to heat up?

I need to look up whether I can use childcare vouchers, too. I currently use them for preschool, but I know the system is changing.

nannynick Sat 31-Jan-15 15:51:25

Yes, cooking is part of the job. Nanny would be expected to eat with the children and eat the same as the children.

Childcare vouchers can be used to pay a nanny.
In England - the nanny has to register with Ofsted
In Wales - the nanny has to register with CSSIW.
In Scotland - parents need to use a Care Inspectorate registered child care agency.

FlorenceMattell Sat 31-Jan-15 20:41:48

Agree a Gross salary never Net.
Hours are fine , I prefer long hours and don't work every day.
And yes nanny will do children's laundry , ironing , clean children's bedrooms and playroom .
Don't forget nanny will be entitled to a 40 min break for 12 hour day. This should be paid as she will still have responsibility for children even if asleep .
Holidays she may not be able to do so many household chores as children not at school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now