Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Agencies that employ nannies for you like Asquith Nannies

(17 Posts)
jeffreyshouse Tue 27-Jan-15 21:57:19

Hi,

I'm looking to get a nanny for 2 children but am not too keen on being the employer and all that it entails. I have come across Asquith Nannies who employ the nanny for you and then you pay the agency. Are there any other Nanny agencies that work in this way that would potentially cover the Windsor area? I just want to explore all my options.

Many Thanks

Purplepumpkins Wed 28-Jan-15 07:16:00

That's the first agency I've heard about. Perhaps ring them and they could tell you of any other agency's.

The other option is you look into nannyTax my employer uses IT and I think it's fairly straightforward

Hanl30 Wed 28-Jan-15 09:11:38

Use one of the various payroll companies eg nannytax, payefornannies etc

Cindy34 Wed 28-Jan-15 12:15:01

Asquith as I understand it uses nursery care for the bulk of the time, so the nanny works at the nursery and then does a bit of time at your home. Clarify the situation with Asquith.

What bothers you about being an employer? You can use a payroll company to do the paperwork, they also have employment law advice lines and organisations like ACAS advise employers about legal issues.

There are many people on here who can point you in the right direction if you get stuck with anything.

jeffreyshouse Wed 28-Jan-15 18:02:10

Thanks for your replies.
The thing that puts me off being the direct employer is the hassle of having to find someone else if the nanny happens to go off sick or go on maternity leave. Paying a bit more for someone to take care of this side of things for me should it happen is attractive.
The nannies at Asquith spend a majority of their time in your home but also take them to nursery for a few sessions ( at additional cost) and stay with them there
I just wondered if there was an equivalent agency......?

nannynick Wed 28-Jan-15 19:59:04

Interesting to hear how Asquith works. So you pay extra for the nursery sessions (are they optional?) but the nanny still has to go with the children, so nanny can't go back to your home to do household tasks?

No, I don't think there is any other agency which offers a replacement nanny in the event of sudden illness.

Nannies do not get sick that often usually, though it does happen - we are after all human. In the same way you get sick yourself as do your children. It is not usually a major issue but if you have to have 100% reliability, then you will need to use a type of childcare where there are many people involved, so it will need to be nursery care.
Even nurseries shut on occasion - heating failure, no water, sewer problems for example.

Nothing is ever 100%. Are you/your partner not able to take an occasional parental leave or sick day from work?

schlafenfreude Wed 28-Jan-15 21:38:42

I think mummysos in London do this. Mamie childcare do too. But I'm not sure that they will guarantee a replacement in Windsor....

jeffreyshouse Thu 29-Jan-15 09:36:51

Thanks, I'll have a look at those agencies.
Asquith do either nanny only or nanny + nursery options.
Yes, I can take sick leave but as we are both GPs then 40+ sick patients don't get to see their Dr that day. My friend's poor nanny broke her leg and she had minimal childcare for 8 weeks. My children come first but if I can try to minimise the potential knock on disruption then all the better.

FlorenceMattell Thu 29-Jan-15 12:56:31

Nursery plus au pair for back up.

nannynick Thu 29-Jan-15 13:41:35

How much does an Asquith Nanny cost? Is it like having a continious temp, so whilst mostly the same person it may on occasion be someone else?

As a GP if you are ill do you have to pay for locum cover? Could you compare the costs in any way - nannies are not often sick but major things like breaking limbs can happen. A locum I guess is costly but if nanny is rarely ill, would it be cheaper/easier taking the day off yourself and paying a locum?

How do other GPs cope, are there others you can ask about it?

Cindy34 Thu 29-Jan-15 14:13:05

Looking on their website there is no cost information. So anyone know how much it is? I see they have Windsor as a location area, so have you found out what the fees are for an experienced nanny from Asquith in Windsor?

jeffreyshouse Thu 29-Jan-15 14:29:52

£15 per hr.

nannynick Thu 29-Jan-15 17:11:15

Not as bad as I imagined. Temp nursery staff cost £14 an hour in the area, with the staff being paid £8.62 gross.

In the area an experienced nanny would cost you around £11 gross plus employers ni (about £2000 a year if 40 hour week).

Locum GP might be 600-1000 a day so costly but nanny via the agency looks like it may cost you around £5000 more a year (doing quick compare on 40hrs a week) so 5 days or so of sickness looks like the breakeven point.

As a nanny I have not had 5 days sick over last six years, yet alone in one year. It is a risk though, so view it like an insurance policy perhaps.

Have you met any nannies yet from the Asquith service?
What is included in the fee, such as mileage for trips, craft supplies, admission to places they might go.
Try to compare the Total cost figures and determine if the fee is worth paying for the peace of mind that if sick a replacement is provided.

Cindy34 Thu 29-Jan-15 19:31:51

£15 is quite a lot but if it means they guarantee that someone always arrives when you need them it could work well.
I wonder how much then nanny gets.

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 29-Jan-15 23:10:09

I think you'd be better off getting a normal nanny (i.e. that you employ) and then finding a good temp nanny agency so that you are covered for when your nanny is off sick.

I understand not wanting the hassle of recruiting if your nanny goes on maternity leave/long-term sick, but realistically is that a decision you want to delegate? Do you want someone else choosing who will look after your children? It's such a personal decision.

willowsimp Mon 02-Feb-15 17:57:04

Hi all - I am looking to hire a part time nanny over 4 days a week comprising of one full day (8-6) and 3 half days (from 2-6pm). I live in Surbiton. Very flexible on hourly rate. Most important thing is that we find an energetic, organised and reliable nanny asap! After school will include homework and bringing to after school activities. Please let me know if there is anyone out there?!! x

RoseM91 Wed 09-Mar-16 09:20:21

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now