This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Hiring a babysitter

(15 Posts)
gg1234 Mon 26-Jan-15 23:51:25

Does and donts please explain what are they .Do we pay commuting charges too to the baby sitter

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Tue 27-Jan-15 02:20:02

Hi you don't normally pay commuting charges unless it's outside sitters normal area they work n you desperately want them or its a teenager who needs a taxi home.

First couple times book 30mins before you need to go just to settle children, be reassured yourself, finish getting ready etc

Be back on time

If going to be late let sitter know asap and pay for extra time

Have money ready and don't keep sitter waiting while you chat about your night out, quick handover and they can get home to bed smile

Tea/coffee n biscuits

If sitter is coming before 7pm it's nice to have a pizza to pop in oven but not essential and I have never requested meals for babysitting.

Most importantly choose someone you are happy with so you relax and have a great night out.

Cindy34 Tue 27-Jan-15 05:58:19

What do you mean by babysitter?
Depending where in the world you are it can have different meanings.
In the UK a babysitter is someone who comes to your home, typically in the evening for a few hours to care for children who are usually asleep or certainly on their way towards bed.

gg1234 Tue 27-Jan-15 21:49:36

Hi,
Okay then its a nanny sad..I was just checking account thing.If I pay her do I need to pay her NI contributions.Do I have to check with anyone that I have employed a nanny .Declare it ?

Regards,
gg

PassTheCremeEggs Tue 27-Jan-15 21:58:02

If you're employing a nanny in the UK you have to employ them formally which means paying their tax, NI and enoloyer's NI. Plus SSP and SMP if relevant.

PassTheCremeEggs Tue 27-Jan-15 21:58:24

*employer's NI

Cindy34 Wed 28-Jan-15 06:46:01

Assuming you are in the UK, you need to register as an employer with HMRC and Deduct employee income tax and employee national insurance from their gross salary. These are the taxes the nanny pays, but you as employer are responsible for deducting them from their wages and paying the money over to HMRC.
You then have Employers NI to pay on top, this is a tax on employers.
You can get a good idea of the figures involved by using a PAYE calculator such as www.mranchovy.com/calc/ by simply entering in the gross pay rate, hours worked per week. Leave taxcode at the default 1000L (this changes in April) and affects how much employee tax is deducted.

You can use a nanny payroll company to do all the taxation side of things for you. Some will register you with HMRC, produce the monthly payslips and remind you to send HMRC payments, plus help complete employer returns (info HMRC needs each year).
Some will offer a service when you pay them all the money and they make the payment to nanny, to HMRC. That looks costly and potentially risky as you are giving them what may be a couple of thousand pounds and trusting them to pay it over. If the company went bust, would your client money be safe? I would want reassurance that client funds were separate to the business funds.

The really important thing for you to do, regardless of if you do the taxes yourself or use a payroll company, is that you agree a Gross Salary with the nanny. Do not agree to pay a set Take Home Pay amount each week/month.

FMG Wed 20-Jan-16 11:56:53

I'm really confused about this. I know this is an old thread but maybe someone can help me on the same subject.
I need someone to bring the kids back from school and look after them after school - 3-4 hours work, just 1 day per week in term time. There will be occasional ad hoc after school hours and ad hoc holiday daycare/ taking to holiday sessions which may run to 1-2 x 6 hour days a week in the holidays.
I will know the dates of all the days I will need care at least 2 months in advance and will let the carer know what dates/ hours I need and if she can't do any of the dates I will find someone else to do those dates.
Do I really need to be an employee, paying the carer holiday and sick pay?

FMG Wed 20-Jan-16 12:14:06

To add: The payments per week to this worker will be £50-£100 and £50-£150 during holidays, if that makes a difference to status.
There will be 1 consistent after school pick up day per week (cost approx. £50) but weekly payments will vary as I may ask the carer to do the odd extra pick ups.

Cindy34 Wed 20-Jan-16 13:07:37

Yes you should be really, though I do see that you are saying that you would give dates and if they could not do one then it would not be a problem, you would get someone else. You may find someone who would do it through their business perhaps but that would mean that they determine the pay rate, not you.

Cindy34 Wed 20-Jan-16 13:11:24

The amounts won't make a difference to status but will make a difference to taxation. You may find there are little to no costs to you in terms of employers national insurance due to the low pay.

If someone was to do it self employed, then their fees would include a proportion towards their holiday time. So the total over year would be very similar to you employing them and giving some paid holiday entitlement.

FMG Wed 20-Jan-16 13:31:00

Thank you for replying, it is appreciated. The carer I have been talking to wouldn't be including an allocation towards their holiday - it is another mum who would like to earn a bit of cash (which they would report to HMRC etc properly).

FMG Wed 20-Jan-16 13:31:44

Therefore it would make a difference to my costs as I would need to pay a payroll company and give holiday pay.

Cindy34 Wed 20-Jan-16 16:20:45

Yes but if they were self employed they would determine their fees and would build in to those fees an amount for the holiday they loose.

Have they said they are self employed and have they told you how much they will charge you?

FMG Wed 27-Jan-16 10:04:57

Sorry for the delay I didn't get an alert to a reply. I have said how much I would pay per hour and they said they would accept that to work the hours I need, and would let me know if there were any days they couldn't do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now