Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Should a handover be included in working hours or separate too?

(27 Posts)
IHopeYouStepOnALegoPiece Mon 26-Jan-15 20:14:07

In my previous positions, I didn't have set finishing times, just a minimum hours contract and a time sheet! Or they rang on the way home and we had a handover then and I just ran out the door when they got in...both worked beautifully

This one, I finish at 7pm everyday according to my contract, but the parents come in at 7 then want a handover that takes about 15mins so I'm not out until 7.15...all the info given is something that could be in a text (which I've tried...we still have the handover )

I say it should be included, friend says it's shouldn't be paid for....just wondering where everyone stands!

wewishyou Mon 26-Jan-15 20:31:52

None of the parents I have worked for ever inckuded it. I guess if you think about it, you work until 7 pm, then when the parent arrive, you start gathering your stuffs and putting your shoes/coat while talking, so that doesn't have to be paid.

It always frustrates me a little bit to be out 10 minutes after my finished time, but that's part of the job.

HiawathaDidntBotherTooMuch Mon 26-Jan-15 20:42:38

I am a nanny employer, and I think it should be part of your paid hours. I get home half an hour before our nanny is contracted to leave. That time flies. By the time I take off my coat and shoes, maybe change, cuddle the DC, catch up with them and our nanny, maybe put a wash on, or whatever, that's half an hour gone. Or she leaves a bit early.

Do you get days when you leave early? Is there a quid pro quo informal arrangement where you stay 15 minutes late some days and leave early on other days?

nbee84 Mon 26-Jan-15 21:20:14

As a nanny I think it should be part of your paid time - so parents should get home 5 mins or so before you are due to leave.

In all but my last job this is what happened. In my last job I had a daily diary, so all details were written down but mb would still walk through the door at my finish time and spend the next 10 mins or so asking things about the children's day or upcoming days. It was about the only thing that irked me about the job, and as all other aspects of the job were great I just sucked it up and if I got out of the door on time I saw it as a bonus smile

Greenfizzywater Mon 26-Jan-15 21:21:21

I think it's poor form to arrive home on the dot of the time your nanny finishes and then expect a long handover. If you get random early finishes/afternoons off then you might take a "quid pro quo" approach, but to be 15 minutes late all the time would annoy me.

I have my nanny til 6 and I generally arrive home around 5.45 - allows for a handover on most days and means I'm very rarely late even if work runs late or there is bad traffic.

fluffymouse Mon 26-Jan-15 21:31:41

I believe it should be paid. It would be in any other job.

I'm surprised they want/need a 15 minute handover every day. How much is there to talk about? Can you suggest a nanny diary instead?

Cindy34 Mon 26-Jan-15 22:07:51

I feel it should be part of the paid hours.
Why are they wanting a long hand over period, is there really that much info to pass on?
If caring for a baby and need to give feed info, then do a feed log so you just leave that somewhere convenient. Maybe even do a nanny daily diary.

There needs to be a gap between parent coming through door and your time ending ideally, as what happens if train late, traffic delay? If that gap is already there and parent comes home on time, then that bit of time could be used for handover info.

SirChenjin Mon 26-Jan-15 22:14:06

Part of the paid hours, definitely. You are still working when you are giving all the handover info to the parent - and in any other job where there is a handover (such as nursing) it's done as part of the shift, not after the shift has finished.

What on earth do you have to handover that the parent feels it needs to take 15 minutes?!

Maryann1975 Mon 26-Jan-15 22:28:59

I think it should be part of the paid hours. I'm a cm and one of my new families think they should have dropped their child and be back in their car by the time the contracted hours start and they pick up on the dot meaning a run down of the day is happening when I'm not being paid. I wouldn't mind if it was brief but they are chatters and I'm struggling to get them out the door ten mins after I'm meant to have finished.

colafrosties Mon 26-Jan-15 22:34:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ceeveebee Mon 26-Jan-15 22:40:05

As a nanny employer I try together home 5-10 minutes before finish time, and if I'm later than that I accept there may be no handover at all (although really how long does it take to say what/how they ate and what they got up to)

IHopeYouStepOnALegoPiece Mon 26-Jan-15 22:49:21

Thanks all! No, they're not often home early...which is fine...but then I end up staying later for a handover of How each meal went...how each nap went...what we did that day...what are we doing tomorrow...shopping that's needed

hmm lovely people but Gargh!

I'm tempted to start a time sheet to keep track!

If I left on time it takes 40mins to get home...leaving just 15m later can add an extra half hour or more because it hits the traffic!

MuscatBouschet Mon 26-Jan-15 22:50:07

As a nanny employer it should be part of your paid day. We've always had a diary noting meals and sleeps etc.

I fear your experience is very common and encourage you to nudge your employer every so often by looking at your watch, reminding them you finish at 7 and saying you have a friend to meet.

Limpetsmum Mon 26-Jan-15 22:52:49

Eeek! I'm starting to worry about what I do. I usually get home about 15 mins early but then just have a gossip and chin wag with my nanny, not necessarily about the kids. And sometimes she doesn't leave until 30 mins after finish time. I've never thought it was a problem but maybe she's too polite to tell me to zip it!

BMO Mon 26-Jan-15 23:11:30

Could you get your shoes and coat when they arrive, chat while you're putting your shoes on and then say a cheery goodbye?

BackforGood Mon 26-Jan-15 23:19:28

I would expect that to be part of your paid hours - if they feel they need it.
If it were an odd, one-off, because they were a bit upset or under the weather, then not, but if they want that every night...

We used CMs rather than Nannys, and the would all have a little "home/school" diary, so either of us could write a note if there was something we wanted to check, and the CMs would write what they'd eaten / done / where they'd been etc to humour us when it was our pfb. Obviously that can be done while baby naps or gurgles contentedly nearby and doesn't have to be done after you've finished working.

Also, on principle, I would aim to get to collect them (home in your case) a good 15mins before the time I paid for, - mainly to allow for any unexpected delays or traffic, but it had the bonus of it not being a problem if I ever did want to ask something.

LightTripper Mon 26-Jan-15 23:59:22

We try to get home about 15 mins before our nanny's official finish time, then about 5-10 mins chat. She tends to arrive slightly early in the mornings too. Basically we both build in some margin for bad traffic etc and then if all goes well that is ample time for handover!

The way I see it it's her responsibility to make sure I can leave on time in the morning, and ours to make sure she can leave on time in the evening!

Yerazig Tue 27-Jan-15 13:08:59

As a nanny I make it clear before I start employment That parents should try and get home 5/10 mins before hand allow time for a handover. I've generally lived close to most of my jobs but still after working a 10hr day All I want to do is get home eat and go bed not hang about.

kathryng90 Tue 27-Jan-15 13:59:01

Cm here. Handovers done outside of paid hours. But only within reason! Parents generally arrive 5-10 mins before session for quick chat. Likewise quick 5 min chat at end of day. I find a few cheery 'everything in the diary' comments plus 'must gets kids tea now' as I herd them out usually work. If not a quick note in diary asking for a review of the hours works.

I offer a 'take home service' for my mindees so after usual working hours I take child home, give tea bath and bed and babysit for the evening. Obviously booked in advance and only if my OH is home for my children. When parents come home I have shoes and coat ready for quick exit!

PippiLicious Tue 27-Jan-15 14:05:21

If my nanny worked until 7 then I made sure she left at 7, therefore dh or I got home by 6.45.

nannycaro Tue 27-Jan-15 18:23:37

When I fist started my current job the parents would get home at my agreed finish time and then do a handover. This used to slightly irritate me so I spoke to them about it. I asked them (in a very nice mature way!) how they would like it if their boss kept them on for 15mins every night - unpaid. It actually adds up to a few hours every month! Once I had put it like that they totally understood. Now mb tends to phone me on her way from the office to the tube for a quick catch up, anything else is in 'our notebook' in the kitchen.

nannycaro Tue 27-Jan-15 18:25:00

first not fist!!!!!!

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Tue 27-Jan-15 18:28:16

When we had a nanny it was paid. Finished at 7 and we were (almost) always home 5 -10 min before to hand over. She was a total (lovely) chatterbox though, so sometimes we were shoving her out the door at 7.05.grin

Aridane Wed 28-Jan-15 15:40:03

Yes, it should be part of your paid hours (if it is anything other than an exceptional occurrence)

crispycake Wed 28-Jan-15 23:00:38

I was going to start a thread similar to this op.
My boss is always 15-20 mins late, doesn't let me know, there's no sorry I'm late etc. so she gets in 15 mins late then wants to chat for another 5-10.
Since Christmas I've been working a extra 25mins without payment etc and it's really starting to annoy me.
I always arrive on time

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: