Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Thinking of getting a nanny housekeeper

(8 Posts)
ItIsntJustAPhase Sat 24-Jan-15 23:01:30

Hi, I've not posted on this boards before.

I have two kids in primary school and I'm thinking of going back to work. I don't know exactly what I will do YET, because I've consulted part time from home for years but might get a job WOH.

My husband's job is very demanding, the kids do lots of activities and I think I need a nanny housekeeper to do school runs and after school taxi service and tea two or three times a week, plus household jobs and maybe other tasks like food shopping in the time the children are at school those two or three days.

It would be great if we could get some evening babysitting occasionally as well.

So. I am wondering how flexible the employee might be, how structured I need to be, and what I should bear in mind.

I am thinking it might be necessary for me to state the days I want now, but I guess it depends on the nanny's situation. I want to be a good employer but my situation might change.

Limpetsmum Sun 25-Jan-15 00:13:48

Be up front and honest and say what you're thinking.
Maybe guarantee a number of hours a week because at the end of the day you need to provide a steady income. It also depends how many hours you are offering. If the wage is going to be enough then flexibility may be fine - but if you're not paying enough/providing enough hours and you expect this to be a part time job you will probably make getting other work difficult to top up income.
A lot of nannies are young with no commitments in terms of their own family and may be able to provide the flexibility you require.

ItIsntJustAPhase Sun 25-Jan-15 10:22:52

Thanks for your reply.

I am considering whether to get an older more experienced nanny. I saw one lady's ad that said she was 49 and I immediately felt that was going to be better for us.

I don't think my kids and I need someone young, energetic and bubbly, iyswim, I think we need someone reassuringly stable, firm and calm. They are old enough that they don't need lots of playing with, and their activities provide a lot of energy busting.

I don't know.

If someone older has their own older kids and grandkids, I don't know what that might mean in terms of the nanny's family commitments.

Obviously I will just be honest and I know that providing enough hours will be key. I'm thinking 8-6 is 10 hours x 2 days, plus babysitting one evening a week might be 24 hours total. If we went 730 - 7 x 2 days + babysitting that would be 26.5 hours a week.

But if I work 3 days a week, 8-6, plus babysitting that would be 34 hours a week which is more like a full time wage. Hm.

Limpetsmum Sun 25-Jan-15 11:02:23

I think those house would be fine for either older or younger nanny. I think it is difficult if people only offer a handful of hours a day spread out over the week. Filling in the gaps becomes more difficult then but two /three intensive days is fine as a nanny can then fill up her week the other days if she wanted.
Different aged nannies suit different families. I can see the appeal of an older nanny with older kids - think evening cover may be more difficult but obviously up for discussion.

I find younger nannies generally more flexible from personal and friends experiences - more versatile and malleable in terms of what you want. That may or may not appeal to you. Good luck.

lovelynannytobe Sun 25-Jan-15 11:43:07

I would say do not put in the babysitting as one of the requirements as you may lose a good candidate. I would mention it during the interview to see how the candidates respond but not make my choice based on it. I am an older nanny and as much as I wouldn't mind doing it occasionally I wouldn't like to be tied to it every week as I have my own family and friends I like to spend my evenings with. You can always use sitters or similar for your babysitting.

ItIsntJustAPhase Sun 25-Jan-15 11:51:54

Okay, unless I have an evening commitment that is regular and definitely a requirement, I won't make that part of the terms.

ItIsntJustAPhase Sun 25-Jan-15 17:13:38

I'm also thinking that I need to be open minded about the fact that younger nannies can also be calm and steady! It is more likely to be personality than age.

Limpetsmum Sun 25-Jan-15 18:21:16

I have only had two nannies- both in their 20s. One had many years nannying experience when we took her on. The other new to nannying. The first stuck in her ways a little and dictated terms. The second worked round us.
If we need to find another nanny I probably would be tempted by younger ones for that reason - but it's a broad sweeping judgement and interviews would tell you much more. Our current young nanny has the patience of a saint (with us and the kids!)
Just interview lots - I never got a good vibe with our first nanny and with the second, I knew 'she was the one'.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: