Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do you pay your au pair in advance or in arrears?

(10 Posts)
MrsFogi Sun 18-Jan-15 20:01:22

That's it really, our first au pair is about to start and I'm wondering if I should be paying at the beginning or end (or middle) of each week?

fluffymouse Sun 18-Jan-15 20:03:31

In arrears. As is usual for jobs I believe.

If you pay in advance you would be screwed if they did a runner, which is not unheard of.

grandmainmypocket Sun 18-Jan-15 21:28:27

In arrears.
Fluffy mouse you'll be screwed regardless if they leave suddenly. :-)

MovedToIstanbul Mon 19-Jan-15 00:12:43

In arrears, usually on the last working day of the week. I know that many appreciate it before the weekend, so that they can spend it. However, depending on your au pair's circumstances, you might want to give her a little bit of money when she arrives. Some come from poorer backgrounds and probably spend their last money on the plane ticket.

fluffymouse Mon 19-Jan-15 00:21:00

Sure grandma, but I would be more annoyed if I had paid in advance.

Messygirl Mon 19-Jan-15 00:29:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Aherdofmims Mon 19-Jan-15 22:05:54

I pay each week in advance on a Monday. Otherwise the first week they are here they have no money (well they probably do have money from home but it seems like a good start). No one has done a runner with the huge sum of £90 so far.

Gusthetheatrecat Thu 22-Jan-15 12:10:51

We are still relatively new to au pairs, but I would always always pay in advance. It's so relatively little money (the hassle of someone doing a runner would be huge in any case, however they were paid) and I would feel it was unfair to potentially leave them with no cash for their first week. I also generally, given the 'family' type arrangements, err on the side of generosity to make sure that I am not exploiting them!

Karoleann Thu 22-Jan-15 20:48:28

Yes, in arrears, we pay on a Friday evening.

Notstayingup Thu 22-Jan-15 20:55:36

In advance as I wanted to make sure she had some money of her own straight away

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: