Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How long until you can ask a pair to leave?

(6 Posts)
JumpRope Sat 17-Jan-15 16:24:38

Our au pair has been here for one week, I know that she is not going to be a good match, and I'm wondering how soon I can in all conscience ask her to go.

She has told me her plane ticket here was quite expensive, we would obviously pay for her return ticket offered to contribute to the first one.

We have been little spoiled with an amazing au pair in the past and I am trying not to compare them, but this I can already see is not going to work. I feel quite guilty, she has come through au pair world from Spain, and is planning to stay for the year. Honestly, I would not replace her, and I think I can manage without an au pair from out on.

Any advice please?

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 17-Jan-15 16:56:12

If it's not going to work ask her to leave immediately.

Depending on the issues though I would give her a few weeks to find another job in the UK if that's what she wants instead of a flight home. Obviously if she has stolen from you/hurt the children/is a complete loon, then send her home. If it's just a personality issue I'd give her the chance to find something else.

grandmainmypocket Sat 17-Jan-15 18:42:29

Could you give her time to find another position and feedback to help her prevent having these issues with another family.

jendot2 Sun 18-Jan-15 09:28:16

Can you not help her find another family to move to. Explain that you feel you no longer need an aupair and will not be replacing her.
Is she really awful ....or just not a good fit for your family?

woodychip Sun 18-Jan-15 09:35:37

Why did you being here here when you don't need her? Sounds very unfair and a week isn't that much time to get to know her. This is someone's life you are playing around with here, you know!

HRHQueenMe Sun 18-Jan-15 18:25:19

a week? Not long enough and very unfair! You havent given the poor girl a chance to proove herself! Imagine if this was your daughter away from home? Just send her back? If you really dont like her after a week help her to find a new family.
Have you laid down the rules? Given her a watertight scedule with expectations and chores of what you need her to do? Has she understood them? You are the employer here and she is your responsibility.
The first week with a new AP is horrible and awkward, i know I have been there, but once you both settle and iron out any niggles its amazing and I wouldnt be here without my amazing girls!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now