Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Being an employer for only 7hrs nanny care?!

(8 Posts)
pixiepoo Sat 17-Jan-15 13:31:32

I have read through quite a few older threads but still struggling to get my head around being an employer for a flexible part time nanny and really hope someone can help explain in simple terms!

I am only wanting a nanny for 7 hours a week (before and after school on two days a week.) I have managed to find a nanny who can do these hours as she is employed 3 days a week and looking for another part time job.

Does this mean for 7 hours a week I have to pay tax, NI and offer benefits i.e sick, maternity and holiday pay?! I probably only want a nanny until May as well.

Is there such thing as a self employed nanny?

Does anyone else have a similar arrangement who can help navigate me!!

thank you

museumum Sat 17-Jan-15 13:34:12

In general (I don't know about nannies) you are exempt from doing the whole paye thing if you are below a certain threshold. Maybe look for advice on direct gov about employing somebody for very few hours?

Starsaboveyou Sat 17-Jan-15 13:34:36

A nanny can't be self employed as you choose her hours.

So I think you either need to choose to be an employer with all that entails or you look for a childminder instead.

MuscatBouschet Sat 17-Jan-15 13:37:21

I'd phone the employer HMRC line. The first poster is right about an exemption for employing for something like less than 10 hours, but the fact she has another job may invalidate that because she'll go above the £10k threshold.

museumum Sat 17-Jan-15 13:38:21

7hrs at around £10/hr will see you far below all these thresholds.

Jinxxx Sat 17-Jan-15 15:21:56

...but not if she has another job.

nannynick Sat 17-Jan-15 16:32:29

As they have another job you will need to register as an employer with HMRC and deduct taxes fromvthe nannies gross salary.

As the hours are low, the Gross salary is probably below the lower limit for Employers national insurance so you won't pay that.

Get a feel for the figues using and change taxcode to BR as the nanny already has a job.

If you determine the hours of work, place of work, what is done then you are very likely an employer. For info about employment rights see AdviceGuide and
Part time staff get paid holiday entitlement. If work is for a short period, the holidau due can be paid at the point the position becomes redundant.

Nanny payroll companies can do much of the calculations for you, some may do a special rate if servixe is only needed for a few months. Call providers and ask such as PAYEforNannies.

pixiepoo Sun 18-Jan-15 22:16:23

Thank you very much for your responses. I'm doing a bit more research. Would have considered a childminder but unfortunately not feasible as my children are at schools 4 miles apart in opposite directions so wouldn't have time to drop off at each and get to work on time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now