Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny with own child - a few practical questions

(34 Posts)
DaphneMoonCrane Sat 17-Jan-15 10:28:17

We're pretty sure we're going to hire an NWOC soon. We can't afford a nanny all to ourselves and we can't find a CM with vacancies or a suitable family for a share.

If you've had an NWOC (or you are one):

- Where did nanny's DC sleep, if they needed a nap during the day? We only have two bedrooms - DS2 naps in a travel cot in DS1's room at the moment. We do have a study downstairs where nanny could put her own travel cot - could this work?
- Did nanny have her own double buggy? What about highchair?
- What happened if nanny's child was ill?
- Did you have extra insurance to cover you in case nanny's child hurt themselves in your house?

Any other NWOC tips welcome, too.

I'm not looking for a debate on the pros and cons of an NWOC, by the way. There are plenty of other bunfights threads about that. Plus it's pretty much our only option.

Nolim Sat 17-Jan-15 10:33:04

What does mwoc mean?

Nolim Sat 17-Jan-15 10:33:44

Never mind. Figured out.

juneybean Sat 17-Jan-15 10:34:17

Nanny with own child...

DaphneMoonCrane Sat 17-Jan-15 10:59:21

Bump

eeyore12 Sat 17-Jan-15 11:15:01

I take my little boy to work with me and have since he was 9 months. I took his travel coy and would put it up in the office downstairs each day (put it in the car at night) although if you do have room to store it ie if you nanny works several days in a row. He would take it in turns to use the
high chair, didn't need a double buggy as had older children in first job and now I look after a baby, my little boy is 2 so walks most places and I have bought a buggy board to use on longer trips, would she be able to fit all three in her/your car safely.
Re illness unless any of them are sick with vomiting etc then we go to work (if my parents can't have him) they will of been together anyway so will probably all get whatever it is, we tend to view them as siblings- as in they have been together lots so will get each other's bugs.

Insurance I am not sure as ob I am the nanny not the employer but a call to your insurance company will sort that one for you.

You also need to think about activities. If you want your child to attend an activity and the nannies child needs to go to, who will pay for them. If it was something I wanted my son to go I would pay, if it was something he needed to pay to attend but wasn't really for his benefit then I would ask my employer to pay.

Also food for nannys child, as it is normal to provide food for the nanny during the working day, would you provide for her child too so everyone can eat the same thing?

I took my own food for him when he was younger but once old enough to have the same as them he would and I was happy to take my own lunch in exchange for them providing food for him, I also take youghurts and fruit for them all to share.

expatinscotland Sat 17-Jan-15 11:19:02

I'd be afraid she'll get pregnant again as soon as hired or already is and you will end up with no nanny and paying mat leave.

DaphneMoonCrane Sat 17-Jan-15 11:33:08

Thanks expat but I'm not looking for pros and cons, just practical tips from people who've done it before.

eeyore that's v helpful, thank you. I'm happy to provide food, within reason. I don't do classes with DS2 but if she wanted to take them to the local toddler group I'd be fine to pay for her DC (DS1 is at preschool most of the day).

eeyore12 Sat 17-Jan-15 12:15:48

Expat any nanny could fall pregnant while employed not just one already with a child.

Daphne that sounds great, I would make sure any groups classes she does take them too, does benefit your child too. Make sure that things like food etc are put in the contract to save confusion later.

DaphneMoonCrane Sat 17-Jan-15 13:27:45

Thank you eeyore - I might PM you if I have any more questions - hope that's okay.

gruber Sat 17-Jan-15 13:36:31

I took my DS to work (returning to my previous job) starting when he was 7 months. I took my own highchair to keep there (stored in under stairs cupboard.) There was actually a travel cot for me to use but he ended up napping in his buggy most days (he only came 1 day out of the 3 I work) I took his own food too as he has multiple allergies. We all went to playgroup together, took it in turns to pay as it was cost per "family" so one week I paid, other week out of kitty. Double buggy- only 22 months between my son and youngest charge, but he was carried in a sling so if she needed the buggy he was happily carried in the sling. It has worked really well (with a bit of flexibility on both parts) and he still comes occasionally.

Eminado Sat 17-Jan-15 13:37:11

Hi Daphne

We did this.

You need to seriously thrash out what will happen if your nanny is sick, her child is sick or yours is. Seriously!thrash this out.

Who pays for what - food, outings, classes etc

Our nwoc has a double buggy.

Travel cot for sleeps.

Cannot emphasise enough the importance of discussing what will happen when her child is sick. Speaking from bitter experience.

gruber Sat 17-Jan-15 13:37:44

Sorry, not clear- I didn't have a double and neither did they but we managed with sling and buggy combo (though like I say he is usually in sling anyway so not a huge change for us).

Eminado Sat 17-Jan-15 13:41:48

Sorry to be so negative blush.

I think my point is you need her to have a very good work ethic.

Gruber and Eeoyore who posted above sound like they are practical and not work shy ie will make the effort to get in to work as consistently as possible. I think you need that otherwise its just too stressful. Good luck.

DaphneMoonCrane Sat 17-Jan-15 13:57:43

Eminado thank you. I won't hire someone who doesn't have backup childcare for her own child if they are sick.

DaphneMoonCrane Sat 17-Jan-15 13:58:40

Eminado has it worked out okay otherwise?

Dannygirl Sat 17-Jan-15 14:01:52

Some good advice on here OP. We have had a nanny with her own child on a couple of occasions and it's worked out extremely well. In our case we only had one DC at that stage, and he was always 2-4 years older than the nanny's child. My son really enjoyed the extra dynamic, playmate etc. and we still keep in touch with our nannies and their children even though we have moved away now. The first time the nanny had a double buggy, the second time my son was old enough to walk/scoot. Both times we just let the nanny use our travel cot/high chair etc, but our son was a bit older so didn't need them by then. I would second what Eminado said about thrashing out all the different scenarios discussed here - we didn't have a bad experience by any means but it really helps everyone to know where they stand rather than being surprised and it becoming awkward. I would only add that I think for this scenario to work well it does require everyone to work that little bit harder at the relationship and assume positive intent etc. on both sides! Otherwise it won't work, even more so than a nanny without her own child I think. Good luck!

DaphneMoonCrane Sat 17-Jan-15 14:11:52

Waaaaah. It all sounds quite complicated.

I don't really want to have a nanny but I just cannot find a CM. I met one who has space but I wouldn't leave a cat with her, let alone my kids hmm

None of the other CMs in my area have vacancies, and we need care in 10 weeks' time, so we don't really have a choice sad

BadgerFace Sat 17-Jan-15 14:22:13

For our arrangements we had a travel cot in the spare room for my nanny's child, who was the same age as my DD. I bought a double buggy second hand and my nanny went to free activities at the local children's centres and the park. We had a spare highchair so they could eat together. You could always use a fabric one which fits in a chair if you are short on space round the table.

My nanny ended up going on maternity leave after 8 months but don't let that put you off. You get plenty of warning to make alternative arrangements and the government pay you the SMP as you are a small employer so you are not out of pocket.

Very happy to answer any questions... I miss my amazing nanny with own child!

anotherdayanothersquabble Sat 17-Jan-15 14:24:45

I did this when DS1 was a year old. Nanny's child slept in her pushchair. We bought a cheap second hand double buggy and had a portable high chair booster thingy. The nanny negotiated with toddler groups and activities with my help if necessary. My biggest problem was when I was on maternity leave! Food was a bit of a contentious issue for me as I but I hadn't really thought it all through.

DaphneMoonCrane Sat 17-Jan-15 14:27:02

Thank you, BadgerFace (love the name).

Do you still have to pay employer NI contributions while nanny is on mat leave? Or do you just pay one lot (ie for your maternity cover nanny)?

Did yours come back after mat leave? We have a small house and two DC so we can only really have a nanny with one child.

BadgerFace Sat 17-Jan-15 14:32:43

Just to answer some of your other initial questions:-

My nanny brought her child with her if she was ill, I was happy with that as my DD was likely to have caught it anyway (although it didn't happen more than once). My nanny also went above and beyond by having my DD on a couple of occasions when she herself was unwell and had her mum come help her or her husband worked from home. She reckoned if she was well enough to look after her own DD with help then one more was fine. We just dropped DD with her instead of her coming over to ours.

I think a travel cot in your study would be absolutely fine for naps.

Our house insurance added on some employer's liability cover for not very much, about £10 I think.

I'd recommend PAYE for Nannies to sort out all the payroll stuff. It costs about £150 a year and they will draft a contract for you which you can then tailor.

BadgerFace Sat 17-Jan-15 14:38:04

You pay E'ers NIC on SMP but the payment you receive from HMRC covers that too. We've moved DD to a nursery place instead of getting a cover nanny as a space came up at the right time (which are like gold dust where we live!). The change has pros and cons and it's been a hard transition. I definitely miss lots of the nanny aspects and would do it again if I have a second baby.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 17-Jan-15 15:04:22

I know you don't want downsides, but have you looked at the cost of a NWOC? It's not always the saving people imagine it to be. A NWOC will usually only take a 10-20% pay cut. It's not 50% like a share would be.

To answer your questions;

-sleep - I wouldn't worry about this in advance because there are too many ifs, ands and buts. The nannies child could sleep on the sofa, in a travel cot, in a buggy, in a sling or could not sleep at all.

-equipment - the nanny is unlikely to have her own double buggy, unless she has two children. Highchair and stuff is easily workable either by using the highchair in shifts, feeding one on her lap, or bringing a booster seat/table seat thing.

- illness - as already said, you need to decide what you want to happen and make sure it is well discussed beforehand.

- I'm not sure about the insurance.

Make sure you discuss activities (what you/they want to do and who pays), food (who pays for what and who eats what), what happens if nanny's child breaks something, can nanny leave stuff at your house etc. Think everything through.

It can work really, really well so don't be put off, you just need to be organised and clear upfront. The more 'uptight' a person you are, the more this is true!

DaphneMoonCrane Sat 17-Jan-15 15:31:48

Outraged we can just about afford to pay £8 ph gross instead of £10-11ph gross, which is the starting rate for a decent nanny round here. I've spoken to a local nanny agency and they say this is reasonable.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: