Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Bathing routine

(8 Posts)
hms14 Thu 15-Jan-15 03:50:23

Hi everyone. Newbie here and my first post lol.
Iv been reading around and J&J doesn't seem ideal for babies. Currently i occasionally massage olive oil onto my babies skin n then wash it off with water and J&J products. Im confused when i should apply the olive oil. After the bath (until next bath) or before (all washed off during bath). And whats the safest product. Its becasue i suffer from mild ezcema and have noticed some dry patches on my babies skin. Many thanks x

eeyore12 Thu 15-Jan-15 06:50:57

Hi I am an infant massage instructor and I would advise against j and j products just because they are not natural oils etc. olive oil or vegetable oil are good for massage and dry skin organic if possible but as they come so don't add any essential oils as they can mask not only your smell for the baby but also any signs the oil has gone off. I would say to put it on after a bath and /or in the morning (never on their face) and leave it on. It will quickly soak in being a natural oil.

Basically I tell my clients any oil they have in their kitchen cupboard and happy to eat themselves (except almond/nut oils) are fine as baby will put hands/feet in their mouth so natural oils are best.

hms14 Fri 16-Jan-15 02:48:45

Thank u for that. So what should i use on my babies face. I want to keep her moisturised. Also wouldn't all that oil cause oil skin in the future leading to acne and spots?? Sorry ftm so over thinking it all.

eeyore12 Sun 18-Jan-15 16:57:34

No it is fine esp if you use a natural oil it will just soak into the skin to replace moisture. That is why we don't use oil on the face as the pores there are more open. I used weleda baby consuls face cream on my sons face and worked really well. Make sure you don't get it too near the mouth but otherwise is fine and was recommended to me by loads of people (got it on amazon)

My son has an allergy which normally shows as excema and the peadatrian was very impressed by his clear soft skin when they first saw him and I am sure it had a lot to do with me massaging him with vegetable from 2 weeks old daily.

eeyore12 Sun 18-Jan-15 16:59:34

If her skin isn't I really dry esp on face then I wouldn't worry about trying to keep her mositured. Her skin will do it itself, just make sure she isn't in dry air (ie lots of central heating or too cold air) as these can dry out the skin, the same as in an adult.

loudarts Sun 18-Jan-15 17:00:13

I use simple baby bath as Johnson's stuff always inflames my dcs eczema.

Only1scoop Sun 18-Jan-15 17:01:51

I used Weleda products found them quite good.

I was never one for oils etc though.

eeyore12 Sun 18-Jan-15 18:32:17

Yes once my little boy was a couple of months old we used simple all in one in the bath, before that plain water is the best thing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: