Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

babysitting 18 month old nephew overnight

(6 Posts)
Cremeegg123 Wed 14-Jan-15 22:15:18

Hi this is my first post, me and my partner have offered to babysit our 18 month old nephew on Saturday night so his mum and dad can have a weekend to themselves and also to spend a bit of time with his as we live in different towns we don't get to see him that much. We babysat him overnight once before when he was about 6 months old and I felt confident in looking after him, it went smoothy apart from the obvious night feeds and changes etc but we enjoyed it. Now he is older I feel more anxious about taking care of him as he is obviously more to handle and will require more attention and activities to keep him occupied.

I am a bit concerned about the sleeping arrangements as his mum and dad have him sleeping in bed with them, I am not a parent yet myself but its not something I would feel comfortable with as I know the dangers and I am a restless sleeper. His granny does the same when she babysits him i believe but i don't feel confident in doing that.

Does anyone have any advice or tips? I am really looking forward to it but I am just a bit anxious! smile

eeyore12 Thu 15-Jan-15 06:53:20

Can you put him to sleep in the bed with you and then transfer him to his cot. It may take a few attempts as he may well notice the warm body next to him has gone but once really asleep he should go in. That's what we do with my little boy when poorly as I don't sleep when he is in the bed with is as he wriggles all night!!

eeyore12 Thu 15-Jan-15 06:54:13

Oh does he have a travel cot at all that you could put next to the bed so he can still hear you during the night.

HSMMaCM Thu 15-Jan-15 08:33:32

My DD used to co-sleep, but would happily sleep on a folded duvet on the floor in my mums bedroom. Travel cot might be good though if you're not sure about wandering and safety.

Hoppinggreen Thu 15-Jan-15 11:42:35

I never co slept but if this little boy always has I don't think it will work for you to put him in a bed on his own, especially if he is away from his parents
Could one of you sleep with him in a double bed and the other one on a mattress or similar on the floor?
At 18 months co sleeping is much safer than as a tiny baby ( not that it's dangerous then anyway) but you could have him on top of the duvet with his own blanket rather than under it and remove the pillow

yellowdaisies Thu 15-Jan-15 11:47:06

I'd put him to sleep on top of camping mat or blanket on your bed to go to sleep, and be prepared to lie down next to him if necessary whilst he falls asleep. Then gently move him to the floor next to you when you go to bed.

Do you have stairs? Is he safe with stairs? A lot of 18month olds aren't. You may need to stay in the room with him whilst he sleeps if you can't keep him away from the stairs.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: