Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Looking Back and Feeling Proud....

(9 Posts)
lovebeingananny Wed 14-Jan-15 13:28:21

I am celebrating my 40th Birthday today, had a call from one of my old charges. I looked after her 16years ago! She's now at St Andrews Uni studying History. Her sister is doing her mock exams, and her brother the youngest has just started at Eton. I feel so proud of them all and at how well they are doing. But also can't help thinking that I played a part in them becoming the wonderful young adults that they are becoming. We all reach a stage in our jobs when it is time to move on, but we have been there for such an important part of their lives.

I love my chosen career and I am grateful to all the wonderful families who have trusted me to help bring up their most treasured children. On days like today I look back and I can see how amazing being a nanny is. My heart has been touched by so many beautiful children. So even though they aren't little anymore and they no longer need me, I know they will never forget me and I will forever have the memories and pride in knowing I helped these children through their childhood.

So what makes you proud about being a nanny, or childminder? smile

HSMMaCM Wed 14-Jan-15 14:03:18

Struggling to think of a good example, but I know what you mean. There are many little things like preparing a child for school and then seeing them enjoying school life and thriving. When they start secondary school and feel the need to get in touch for some reassurance. I am proud of each and every one of them and how they present themselves to their school mates.

eurycantha Wed 14-Jan-15 21:07:15

I do know what you mean Lovebeingananny.I have nbeen a nanny for twenty five years and still see most of the children I have cared for.In my previous Job I looked after two children ,the girl graduated from Oxford with a first and her brother has just started there.Before them I looked after another brother/sister combo she graduated with a first and her brother decided to join the army after uni.one day he rang me and invited me to his passing out at Sandhurst,a marvellous day ,he has met my current charges and when he was posted to Afghanistan they wrote to him.
Later he asked me if I was still working as he wanted me to look after his stepdaughter,that is the proudest day when one of the children you've looked after wants you to look after his!

lovebeingananny Wed 14-Jan-15 21:32:51

What a lovely thing to happen eurycantha I'd like to say I'm not old enough for my ex charges to have children. But actually my very first charge had a baby in 2013 and I was asked to be her godmother smile another proud nanny moment.

It's funny I have met so many nannies over the years and the ones who are just doing it for a few years before they find a "real" job, ask me why I have nannied for so long! Well it's simple in what other job would you get these heartfelt rewards!

eurycantha Wed 14-Jan-15 21:38:15

One of my previous charges had a baby people called me the granny nanny.one of my previous employers asked me to be Godmother to her third child who was born after I left.

lovebeingananny Thu 15-Jan-15 01:53:23

GrannyNanny that's sweet smile

Marylou62 Fri 16-Jan-15 08:47:24

What a lovely thread...I turned 50 a couple of years ago and there were 4 families who came 200+ miles to see me...One family couldn't make the day but took me and DH out for posh lunch a few weeks before...I also got deliveries of chocs, flowers and champagne from one family that I spent 3.5 years with...I danced with a young man who I'd nannied from birth to 4.5 years...I was humbled and very happy...One of my charges got a first from Oxford and her parents made a point of thanking me for my input!...they actually said that me being a chatterbox had made her the confident talker that she became...they said that they chose me because I talked a lot and well!...Yes I am very proud to have been able to become part of these amazing young adults lives...may I continue to do so...

lovebeingananny Sun 18-Jan-15 19:57:44

That's lovely Marylou you must of built up a really good relationship with all your past employers. How nice of them to make the effort to join you for your birthday celebrations.

What other jobs offer these sort of rewards smile we are very lucky to do such a great rewarding and lovely job.

LightTripper Sun 18-Jan-15 20:33:16

These are lovely stories. I really hope this is the kind of relationship my DD (and I) can have with her nanny!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: