Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Hoping to do a bit of part time childminding but Ofsted is driving me mad already..should I stop?

(7 Posts)
Tholeonagain Mon 12-Jan-15 11:40:32

I just want to look after one child, alongside my own 3 year old, maybe 2 or 3 days a week. Make a bit of money, give her some company. I like the child development stuff. I look looking after children. I got the DBS checks back just before Christmas. Then we all got a nasty bug, and it was Christmas, & I thought I would give myself a few weeks off the paperwork. I've just looked at it again and realised that I have just exceeded the 19 day deadline to register on the DBS review service. So I will have to apply and pay again for both myself and my husband. I actually feel like crying! I tried to ring them up to ask if there was any leeway, obviously expecting a negative answer, but ended up speaking to a machine. I am wondering if I should stop at this point, is it worth it if I am going to fall at the first hurdle?? Any advice welcome!

HSMMaCM Mon 12-Jan-15 13:31:11

I've heard of loads of people missing the 19 day deadline. Unfortunately the time limit does not seem to be flexible. If you really want to do it, I'd carry on.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 12-Jan-15 13:35:41

The time limit isn't flexible so you will have to apply and pay again next year at full amount

From what I gather it shouldn't be a problem this time just next year rem to register so can update cheaper following year

Frusso Mon 12-Jan-15 13:36:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nannynick Mon 12-Jan-15 18:47:53

The timelimit is imposed by DBS not by Ofsted to my knowledge. No idea why it is a short time or why it is not automatically done at time of doing the initial check. Maybe it will be an automatic thing (tick box) when applying via the OfstedDBSApplication website soon, if it is not already.

Frusso - yes, all new applicants have to be on the update service.

Frusso Tue 13-Jan-15 09:58:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HSMMaCM Tue 13-Jan-15 12:08:46

Frussi - you can sign up for DBS now, but if you already have a crb, you don't have to.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: