Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

My tenants want to employ a nanny

(68 Posts)
cjm10979 Sat 10-Jan-15 20:19:48

I am a landlord of a ground floor two bed room flat (and a mummy) and my tenants have a 10 month old. The mum is going back to work in 2 months and they have decided to employ a nanny for 3 days a week. The nanny will also be accompanied by her 18 month old child.
The problem is that I don't think the flat would pass any Ofsted inspection (I know this is not necessary for nannies and only childminders). The main issue is that all the 6 internal doors have glass in them (which has been painted white). I think it would be possible for a toddler charging around to smash any of them and stab themselves with glass splinters.
If this risk has been identified before hand would the nanny's indemnity insurance cover this? Surely the nanny's employers would need to rectify this to comply with health & safety at work legislation?
Other health & safety aspects of the flat are good as there are no stairs, 2 external doors and all windows except of the bathroom & toilet have adult accessible windows to the outside.
Are there any nannies out there where their employers are renting? How do the insurance polices work in this situation?

ClartyYakker Sat 10-Jan-15 20:22:58

as a landlord haven't you been required to have safety glass in the doors already?

Imnotaslimjim Sat 10-Jan-15 20:26:23

So what happens when the 10 month old turns into a toddler charging round? Surely as a landlord it's up to you to ensure the internal doors are fitted with safety glass, not stuff that can break into big shards that can stab a child? Whether the nanny's insurance covers it really isn't the issue here.......

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Sat 10-Jan-15 20:26:45

Surely you shouldn't have these safety issues in the first place, nanny or no nanny? It's wreckless to rent an unsafe house out.

expatinscotland Sat 10-Jan-15 20:27:36

Hopefully someone will be along to help but yes, this could throw up some serious legal issues for you.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 10-Jan-15 20:38:31

my friend nannied in a rented house while her employers did their house up, insurenace was the same and made no diff

tho obv as rented property it should be safe anyway regardless if any one is working there

nannynick Sat 10-Jan-15 20:40:49

The employers need to have Employers Liability insurance. That may be part of home contents cover.

As landlord, your landlord insurance would provide some cover for the structure of the building but does it provide cover for the contents?
Would the tenant be expected to have their own contents insurance?

Employers Liability Insurance is available as a separate policy, so I would expect the tenant to get that if their existing contents cover (if they have it) does not cover an employee.

Window Film can be purchased to give glazing an additional cover so should it break the risk is reduced, though not eliminated.
Re-glazing the windows is another option and may be something to consider as these tenants have a child and future tenants may have children. It may also be a way to improve heat retention, so improve the efficiency rating and may make the property more attractive to a buyer when you come to sell.

Another option is to replace the doors - my parents did that in a house they brought, the cost wasn't that much but it was a bit of hassle trying to get the doors to hang correctly (they are a pain to fit).

Eltonjohnsflorist Sat 10-Jan-15 20:41:52

I don't think the nanny is relevant here, but I don't believe there is any legal requirement which specifies you must child proof your rental house. It's the tenants responsibility to ensure the children's safety surely?
Possibly different councils/ EH depts enforce different things.

FlorenceMattell Sat 10-Jan-15 20:47:02

As an Ofsted Nanny I have To do a risk assessment of dangers in the home.
It is none of my business whether my employer rents her home or owns it. I wouldn't ask and would be unlikely to know.
If I felt the doors were a danger Ofsted advice that I need to inform the parents. I would probably put something in front of the doors if necessary to stop a toddler from running into them. I wouldn't allow throwing toys. In almost 30 years of caring for children I have never known a child throw anything and break a window / glass pane.
The other alternative is to cover any panes in a protective film.
Ofsted don't inspect the homes where nannies work they inspect the nanny.
They don't have to see the nanny in the home. They will be looking at her safeguarding and child protection knowledge / policies. First Aid etc.
And this nanny might not be Ofsted Registered.

nannynick Sat 10-Jan-15 20:47:26

I have never had a child in my care smash a window, damage a door, anything like that. Does not mean it could not happen, just that it's not very likely. So covering the glass in safety film would probably be fine for your insurer to be happy, for the employers liability insurance provider to be happy and for the family to be happy to live there.

Brandysnapper Sat 10-Jan-15 21:02:54

I have some single glazed windows that come down quite low - we have put film over them. Had a glazed door which smashed when someone slammed it, it has been replaced with safe glass for about £100. I suppose I would expect a landlord to comply to current safety standards, though I don't known if that's a legal requirement.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sat 10-Jan-15 22:55:01

Why is the glass panel painted white? Is it to make it look like it isn't glass and give privacy, and are the occupiers aware that it is? As an adult who's managed to put an arm through something I didn't realise was glass because the landlord had painted it white it's not a very safe thing to do regardless of whether children are involved.

Nanny or no nanny, there is going to be a toddler in that house. Since you think there is a risk that a child could injure themselves, I would replace it or make it as safe as you can. I'm not sure I'd want a preventable injury to a toddler on my conscience.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sat 10-Jan-15 22:58:07

It sounds as if you're not happy with the nanny being there! I really don't think it's any of your business. Are you suggesting the child should go to outside hone care so your flat doesn't get damaged?

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sat 10-Jan-15 23:06:22

The nanny or otherwise is really none of your business. You have an obligation to provide a safe rental under the terms of the tenancy agreement and relevant laws.

The only thing you might need to do (assuming you're not renting out a death trap) is check your buildings insurance doesn't have an issue. It's very unlikely they would.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sat 10-Jan-15 23:38:46

what if the mother stayed at home with the child? how would that be any different? is it because you're referring to yourself as 'mummy', you think 'nanny' is unacceptable?

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sat 10-Jan-15 23:45:12

You need to replace the doors. I suspect you know this. Your tenants' baby will be a toddler, perhaps in as little as 2 months. Would you be able to live with yourself if a child has permanent scarring due to a reasonably simple thing to fix? Or will it be fine if the nanny's insurance covers it?

Just replace the doors. I'm a mummy and a landlord, by the way.

fluffymouse Sat 10-Jan-15 23:46:08

What level are the glass panels? They sound like a danger regardless of nanny.

A good suggestion is to buy protective film for the glass. It can be bought of eBay and fitted yourself.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sat 10-Jan-15 23:55:17

I thought this went without saying but just in case:

As a landlord any accidents in the property due to your negligence would be your liability.

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 11-Jan-15 00:11:18

A landlord's negligence would only be if he/she did not replace a broken pane, not if they did not safety glass. Presumably the tenants signed their lease having seen the doors, and possibly pre-baby.

It is the tenants' responsibility to childproof their home, not the landlord's. What's next, landlord to supply stairgates?

The tenant could surely fit stick on safety film to the panels and remove it when they leave. Whatever, it's up to them.

Some of the responses here are ridiculously entitled.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sun 11-Jan-15 00:19:06

You are of course entitled to your opinion Harriet. I happen to disagree. The op obviously thinks this is an issue or she wouldn't have posted.

Kewcumber Sun 11-Jan-15 00:19:21

You should adhere to building regs Approved Document N which covers glazing in doors. You can access regs at

Pretty much to paraphrase - you (the landlord) should fit toughened safety glass in full length doors (with some caveats about very small panes).

I'm not sure window film would do it.

Kewcumber Sun 11-Jan-15 00:22:40

I think you can legally avoid doing this unless work needs to be done anyway but Residential Landlords association advice is On the other hand if you do fail to replace existing non-safety glazing and an accident occurs there is a real risk that you could be successfully sued if someone is either injured or killed. A serious case could also result in criminal prosecution.

PixieofCatan Sun 11-Jan-15 00:27:00

As the other nannies have said, whether my employers rent or own is not my issue, I make my own risk assessments and my insurance covers me for accidents that children have in my care. However, I wonder if the parents would have a case for claiming on your LL insurance if an accident were to happen regarding the doors?

WD41 Sun 11-Jan-15 00:27:32

So if your tenant wasn't employing a nanny you wouldn't be concerned about the dangerous doors, is that right? You are only worried about the threat they may pose to your tenant's child from an insurance point of view? Nice.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sun 11-Jan-15 00:28:03

I deliberately didn't specify what what be negligent in this situation because I don't really know enough to do so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now