Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Feeling a bit down at the moment

(8 Posts)
WorkingAbroad Sat 10-Jan-15 16:41:01

I am without a job at the moment. The first time in my career as a nanny and it really worries me. Some of you might have read the post about my time in Istanbul working for a VIP family, things didn't work out and the mother sent me home after ten days. I am now stuck in Germany, my home country, without a job and not one family seems to be interested in me. There are positions in London, but I don't want to go back to London, I left my old position for a reason and that was the location. I wanted a new challenge overseas, ideally out of Europe. Going back to the UK is not an option for me, not for a permanent position but I would consider something temporary while I can look for a new position.

Even though I have eight years full-time experience looking after children, I am quite young and many employers want a nanny that is at least 26, 28. I am 24 and they all seem to have the picture of a party lover, always hangover and irresponsible person in their head. The fact that I am also not a native English speaker complicates things immensely. I speak English fluently, having lived in the UK for over seven years, I also studied for an Economics degree here. There are just a few positions where they want someone who speaks German, but then ideally English speaking natives with fluency in German. I can't believe I gave up everything I had in England (lovely, secure long-time position) for the job in Istanbul. I also turned down other job offers, because it seemed to be my dream job. I am now more flexible on locations and would consider European countries as well.

Have you ever been without work for a while? Any advise?

nannynick Sat 10-Jan-15 17:34:39

It sounds as though you are keeping options open as to where you work so that is a good thing, though are there many parents looking for a live-in nanny (are you looking for live-in work, or would you relocate somewhere and rent?).

WorkingAbroad Sat 10-Jan-15 17:38:52

I would prefer live-in work and most positions overseas seem to be live-in anyway. I don't expect separate accommodation.

Kahlua4me Sat 10-Jan-15 17:42:49

At about travelling in Australia for a while?

A job might turn up whilst there or there must be agencies you can join. I travelled Australia when I was your age, many moons ago, having recently qualified as a nurse. Worked my way around the country and had a ball in the process...

WorkingAbroad Sat 10-Jan-15 17:47:43

While I would love to travel Australia or travel any country, I don't have the financial means. I was three years in my old position and last year when my then boss was on maternity leave I took some unpaid leave and travelled. All my savings were spent on it and then my 'last' money I invested in moving from London to Istanbul.

lovebeingananny Sat 10-Jan-15 18:24:31

Have you registered with any agencies? The job market seems pretty good right now. But then I've only been looking for work in London, and I am an older nanny!

What sort of nanny job are you looking for? Maybe you should temp for a while to make some money and give you time to hopefully find your ideal position. Good Luck x

WorkingAbroad Sat 10-Jan-15 19:05:23

Hello,

Yes I am registered with a few agencies. In the past, I only worked with Imperial nannies, I had all my positions through them, but I also signed up with another while I was in London. Now I am abroad and most of the agencies require to meet me in person.

PotOfYoghurt Sat 10-Jan-15 19:19:00

Have you looked at Great Care?

They have plenty of great-looking overseas jobs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now