Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

G/parents charging to childmind?

(18 Posts)
Babashka Sat 10-Jan-15 10:23:03

I wonder if any g/parents charge their family for taking care of children while parents work?

tryingtocatchthewind Sat 10-Jan-15 10:23:57

Mind don't but I always offer money for activities and petrol

Optimist1 Sat 10-Jan-15 10:26:56

Yes, because it's been a 5-days a week arrangement over several years. Totally businesslike. Has worked very well, and of course doesn't include ad hoc babysitting or sleepovers.

heronsfly Sat 10-Jan-15 10:30:38

I look after my dgs three times a week while his parents are working, I don't actually charge them, but they do give me enough to cover his lunch and any trips or activities we may do .

Jinxxx Sat 10-Jan-15 10:58:35

I know of grandparents who charge for childcare, which is perfectly reasonable in my opinion especially if they are giving up work or the opportunity to work in order to support their own children's careers.

SnowWhiteAteTheApple Sat 10-Jan-15 11:00:28

I'd like to think that family members giving up their time on a very regular basis are always offered money by the parents but sadly its not the case and they are simply taken for granted.

It's a lot to ask of a person who may have hobbies, freedom etc they don't really want to give up just so their fault child can avoid childcare costs and save the money.

Jinxxx Sat 10-Jan-15 11:03:07

...that said I also know several families where there have been rows over different issues concerning childcare and where children have ended up in paid childcare after grandparents' care has not worked out. I guess that is more likely to happen where grandparents are paid as the families can obviously afford to pay for care and make other arrangements.

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Sat 10-Jan-15 11:05:46

My mum used to charge when she had my dc and did the school run etc. she doesn't charge her god daughter now though!!!!!!

HSMMaCM Sat 10-Jan-15 12:08:08

I think it's fair for grandparents to be paid. I also think it's ok for them to waive payment. In the latter case, all expenses should be paid (at least).

Marylou62 Sat 10-Jan-15 12:37:59

My DM has never charged my DB for her 2 long days of childcare...but is retired with a good pension...talking with my DD who hopes to have a baby within the next few years (YIPPEEEEE!!!) and has always said that she wants me to childmind...but I would have to give up work (or could be a nanny with Grandchild....NWOGC!!??) I would need to be paid something....so it completely depends on the financial situation of the Grandparents...

batgirl1984 Sat 10-Jan-15 12:51:23

I am aware some grandparents drop their hours at work to care for grandchildren. I think of it as quite a risky arrangement as if parents then choose to use a different form of childcare it could lead to family tension. Also impact on pensions!
I wouldn't be averse to paying grandparents if they were in a position to offer regular care, I would have trouble getting my own parents to take money from me (they won't take expenses for babysitting).
In summary - parents should offer. Grandparents are at liberty to refuse or accept as they see fit.

wheresthelight Sat 10-Jan-15 21:11:37

My friend doesn't pay her inlaws for looking after her dd full time.

my mum has offered to give up work but we would have to match her current wages.

tbh I wouldn't expect them to do it for free however we are looking at a childminder as my relationship with my mum is iffy at best

fluffymouse Sat 10-Jan-15 23:52:44

It is very different if it is one day a week or full time. For full time care I understand payment would be appropriate, but a day a week to save parents money on nursery (and gp can still work) is different.

I have never paid for care from grandparents, however it was very unreliable, and I now prefer to use paid childcare.

Allingoodfaith Sat 10-Jan-15 23:58:50

My DGM never took a penny for dd1 even though it was offered - her and dgf loved having dd1 there. However dd2 (18 years later) MIL expects spare ribs and chicken curry and rice with a bottle of wine just to baby sit while dd2 was fast asleep. we don't ask her any more.

Jinxxx Sun 11-Jan-15 08:10:05

A whole bottle! I wonder if MIL would be awake herself in an emergency.

FlossieTreadlight Sun 11-Jan-15 08:11:36

We covered petrol and the cost of activities

BlackandGold Sun 11-Jan-15 10:07:00

If you gave up a full time job to do childcare then presumably that would mean you didn't pay NI and that would then have a knock on effect of a lower state pension.

If, however, you're beyond state pension age it wouldn't be a problem.

Mind you, full time child care would exhaust me!

Babashka Sun 11-Jan-15 15:39:57

Two of my friends childcare their g/children and charge - we don't and its never been brought up, tbh we are happy to be helping them out financially as childcare costs are not cheap. However, were we to be offered some petrol money or a day out occasionally we wouldn't say no!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now