Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Full time or part-time nanny for kids in school?

(8 Posts)
omile123 Fri 09-Jan-15 23:32:37

Anyone else have this dilemma? Hubbie and I both work full time, and both kids (8 and 4 yrs) are in full time school.We have only ever gone with part time after school care as an inexpensive option which was sufficient, but are considering a full time nanny given: the need for help with morning drop offs; the need for full day cover for the kids during school holidays (with 17 weeks of school hols how does anyone work?!). Also hubby thinks it would be nice to come home to a clean house with all the groceries and cooking done at the end of the day.
I am personally a bit reluctant as full time help when kids are in school seems like a big investment. Also I'm concerned I will be paying someone for a full days work when effectively they will have some down time during term time between the hours of 9am (once kiddies have been dropped off) and 3pm (when they have to leave to collect the children). Yes they could do some cleaning and tidying, but we don't live in a mansion and if this is done daily it should not take more than 2 hours. Plus we do an online grocery shop weekly, which covers food for the whole week and only takes half an hour.
Is investment in a full time nanny worth it for kids in school? Concerned I won't have enough for my nanny to do during the day if she's home alone while kiddies at school.

SoonToBeSix Fri 09-Jan-15 23:34:47

Nannies only cook and tidy for the children.
I think you would be better with an aupair.

blueshoes Fri 09-Jan-15 23:52:45

You need a nanny/housekeeper.

I use aupairs but their quality is uneven and they don't tend to stay long so you are forever finding and settling in a new one. Most aupairs would struggle to do the grocery shopping and cooking without fairly detailed instructions on what to buy and even how to cook. I also don't trust them to drive and if you do, they tend to be expensive to put on your insurance which would be an issue if your schoolrun has to be done in a car. That said, live-in help such as aupairs are very flexible if both you and dh work ft for if you both need to work late and for holiday care.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 10-Jan-15 01:09:23

Maybe consider a nanny share or a NWOC (nanny with own child). That way you get the benefits of a nanny, but save financially.

A nanny-share with someone with a baby/toddler could be ideal because they would get the benefit of one on one care between 9am-3pm, but pay less than a nanny normally costs. You'd get the morning drop off, afternoon care, emergency care and school holidays. One extra child shouldn't really affect the care your children get. You'd be looking at paying between 50-66% of a normal nanny rate. You do need to be slightly flexible with this arrangement though. If you're the sort of person who needs to be in control of everything then this won't suit.

A nanny who brings their own child with them will normally be paid around 10-30% less than a 'regular' nanny. You'd get the morning drop off, afternoon care, emergency care and school holidays. You might get some of the shopping/cooking done, but obviously the nanny will be looking after their own child during the school hours. Again this won't work if you're uptight (there will another child in your house/to be considered).

Nannies don't clean beyond the children's room/playroom and keeping things tidy/clean that they use e.g. the kitchen. A nanny-share/NWOC and cleaner will probably be cheaper than a nanny/housekeeper though.

BringYourOwnSnowman Sat 10-Jan-15 21:18:12

i have a nanny/housekeeper for full days. it is a lifesaver for school holidays and sickness. she also does a lot of jobs a cleaner wouldn't do as she is a housekeeper.

Having her has been a revelation - all our clothes are perfectly folded, we always have clean washing, she is completely on top of the house and the kids. she doesn't cook for us as i don't want her to but she would if i asked.

best thing is she has a wonderful bond with the kids

HairyPorter Sun 11-Jan-15 06:23:23

bringyourownsnowman How much does it cost to have a nanny/housekeeper?

BringYourOwnSnowman Sun 11-Jan-15 09:19:35

Same hourly rate as a nanny which I think depends on your area.

My kids are young so I wanted more emphasis on the nanny but I know people who have more emphasis on the housekeeper (a housekeeper who is happy to look after kids but isn't really a nanny) so that may be a little cheaper

HandMini Sun 11-Jan-15 15:08:00

BringYourOwnSnowman - if you used an agency or have good tips on seeking a nanny / housekeeper, would you mind PMing me. I need what you've got from September! Good luck with the hunt OP - I agree - nanny/housekeeper is the way forward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now