Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny- are they legal? And can you recommend a good one?

(16 Posts)
Soupysouperson Fri 09-Jan-15 20:46:55

I'm suddenly worried for reasons that are a long story and would out me. But as the title says really, I'm worried they might be illegal. But is it ok because it's in my own home? Interested in how many others use them/ how common it is.

readysteady Fri 09-Jan-15 20:51:44

What? As long as you are paying them and paying tax how can it be illegal confused

BlackandGold Fri 09-Jan-15 20:52:36

I don't understand.

Do you mean you think the person is in the country illegally or they do not have the correct work permission?

minipie Fri 09-Jan-15 21:09:59

I don't understand either. Lots of people employ a nanny, it's totally legal as long as you follow employment laws and pay the relevant tax.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 09-Jan-15 21:11:49

No, in the UK it is absolutely illegal to have a nanny. The police take it very, very seriously. You're looking at upwards of ten years in the clink.

You need to move immediately. Change your name. Cut off all contact with your friends/family.

Soupysouperson Fri 09-Jan-15 21:27:27

Oh god, oh god! Nanny cams, NANNY CAMS! Sorry. So again - are nanny cams legal?

wewishyou Fri 09-Jan-15 21:38:23

Outraged, I spat some tea laughing at your answer.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 09-Jan-15 22:06:09

grin@ wewish

OP It is illegal to secretly record people in the workplace, unless you have very, very good reason.

It's fine to have a camera that the nanny knows is there though.

minipie Fri 09-Jan-15 22:30:04

Ahhhhhhhhhh

makes much more sense grin

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 09-Jan-15 22:49:26

Nanny cams are not meant to be used in a home without the nanny knowing

Why do you feel you need one?

Do you think you dc are in danger from the nanny?

nannynick Sat 10-Jan-15 16:22:30

If you need a nannycam then trust in your nanny has broken down.
Sort out issues by talking, not covert surveillance.

Legality will depend where you live. Check local country/state law in particular Data Protection regulations as security systems these days store images digitally.

nannynick Sat 10-Jan-15 17:53:05

ACAS: Privacy issues are not clear cut - Covert Surveillance by Employer

ICO: CCTV - Guide to Data Protection

Advice Guide: Monitoring at Work

Whilst it may be legal to covertly film if there is reasonable suspicion that an offence is taking place, using that footage for anything other than confronting the offender is unwise I feel. The footage may be sufficient to force them to resign, or give you a reason to dismiss but it may be challenged in an employment tribunal and the outcome of that will depend on all the circumstances involved.

If your nanny has worked for less than 2 years, assuming you are in the UK you can simply dismiss them with notice (paid notice if you don't want them working their notice period).

If trust has broken down to the point that you feel a hidden camera is necessary, then I feel you should give them notice.
If you did use a hidden camera and you didn't see anything untoward, would you still be happy having that nanny care for your children, or would there still be a doubt in your mind?

Purplepumpkins Sun 11-Jan-15 17:08:26

I wouldn't work for anyone with a nanny cam. I like to be trusted by the people who employ me.

I think you need to think if you really want a nanny. They are legal but you have to tell your nanny if there is one.

Callaird Mon 12-Jan-15 13:41:36

I wouldn't like to work with a nanny cam. Whilst I have nothing to hide, I would feel truly uncomfortable and not be myself. I would wonder where there were others! I wouldn't be able to get down on the floor and be silly with the children and have play fights. I wouldn't sing nursery rhymes or silly made up songs, which the children adore because I am tone deaf and could not hold a note in a bucket!! Thankfully the children don't care! Also thankfully, my bosses trust me implicitly so I hope they wouldn't have a camera.

HairyOrk Mon 12-Jan-15 22:32:12

If i found out that my employer was filming me with a nanny cam I would leave immediately and probably consider taking legal action.
I would not work in an environment where I was filmed, it would make me feel very very uncomfortable and like the family did not trust or respect me.

LynetteScavo Mon 12-Jan-15 23:50:03

There was a thread once where someone someone secretly filmed their nanny ....when they watched it back they were very pleasantly surprised.

The thing was they couldn't say anything, could they......

If you want to film, fair enough, but you have to let the nanny know.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: