Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Holiday/ad hoc childminder

(6 Posts)
Littlemisssunshine72 Fri 09-Jan-15 18:02:29

Hello,
Wonder if anyone has opinions/ advice.
Am primary teacher who is currently working as a supply 2 days a week. Love the job except holiday time (as dont get paid), therefore was thinking about qualifying as a childminder to provide holiday care or ad hoc childminding(with say 24/48 hr notice) for the holidays (in particular the summer holidays).
Firstly, was wondering whether you'd think there was the demand (I guess it would be for people who term time don't need childcare as I realise others would just carry on with their usual CM) and secondly whether it would be worth all the training/courses, OFSTED, etc to just do in the holidays (although once qualified I could offer it as ad hoc term time too).
I wouldn't be looking to do it full time over the holidays, just a couple of children a couple of days would be fine.
Any opinions appreciated!

Bonkerz Fri 09-Jan-15 18:06:20

You would have to complete the CYPOP course regardless of a degree (this may be funded by council) and first aid (£60-£120) plus new DBS checks for you and any other adults in home (these are £53 plus £13 a year update) and also safeguarding course. insurance would be £52 per year and ofsted fee £35 us your resources etc.

Bonkerz Fri 09-Jan-15 18:07:01

Contact your local development officer at council. Registration can now take 6-12 months.

Littlemisssunshine72 Fri 09-Jan-15 18:16:34

Thank you!!!! Maybe I'll
look at doing some children's classes!

HSMMaCM Fri 09-Jan-15 18:53:03

You'd be better off doing private teaching. The main competition for holiday work is holiday clubs which are really cheap, so it would take you ages to earn your expenses back. See what other holiday care is available in your area.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 09-Jan-15 19:16:22

You could try nannying. Far less hassle/paperwork/hoops to jump through. Well paid.

Where are you? In London there is high demand and as a teacher you'll be sought after.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now