Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Term Time only work

(10 Posts)
SweetieXPie Wed 07-Jan-15 18:19:37

I have recently posted that I am about to start my training to become a childminder l, I had some great advice, which I really appreciate.

I also wanted to check with other childminders, I only want to do term time work as we are often away in the holidays anyway or visiting family.
Do you think I will find it difficult to find work as I am assuming I am only making myself available to those who work in schools.

Do any childminders only take this type of work and if so have you found it hard to get work?

slightlyconfused85 Wed 07-Jan-15 18:33:08

Hi im not a CM but I use one term time only. I use her because I'm a teacher, as do others. I would say market yourself towards teachers and those working in schools and you'll not have too much trouble.

Daveface Wed 07-Jan-15 18:36:00

I use a childminder term time only (and only 3 days a week) as my husband is a teacher so he has them in the holidays. Perfect for us. When I was looking I found most childminders did all year round but I specfically wanted just term time. I don't think you will struggle

Jinxxx Wed 07-Jan-15 18:50:43

I work term time only. Customers are teachers, other school staff, university lecturers and other uni staff, students, parents who work for themselves or do contracting, parents with friends and family to help cover holidays, parents with lots of leave or even early retired! Parents with older children often need to cover the school holidays anyway, so adding a baby or young child into the school holidays equation doesn't make the issue any more problematic. There are also CMs who only do holiday care.

anewyear Wed 07-Jan-15 19:28:51

All my mindees contracts are term time only, saying that I do cover odd days throughout the holidays if needed.
None of my parents are teachers or the like, family help out a lot tho I think.

SweetieXPie Wed 07-Jan-15 19:58:11

Thank you all so much, I feel a lot better now, I was slightly concerned about being all ready to go in September and struggling to find anyone x

HSMMaCM Wed 07-Jan-15 21:32:45

Just be aware it can take a while to fill all your spaces. It took me about 6 months.

Lucylouby Wed 07-Jan-15 21:33:50

I'm a childminder and have never had any enquiries for term time only work. I would quite happily offer term time only contracts, holidays are super busy with my three school aged children being here too. There are obviously teachers etc with babies and children, but we haven't found each other in the childcare search!

jendot2 Wed 07-Jan-15 21:43:29

I have been a cm for 8 years and only ever had 1 term time only enquiry. I would love to work term time only and I advertise that I am happy to take term time only.
I would not get the work here...I guess it depends on your location.

runoutofideasagain Thu 08-Jan-15 08:10:50

I have been a term time only childminder for 3 years - I also only work 3 days per week. I have always been as full as I want to be. You just need to get in with the teachers at your local schools. I would send an email to the school offices of your local schools and ask them to send it on to any teachers who are currently on, or about to go on, maternity leave.

Teachers often know each other, sometimes even if they work in different schools. They talk to each other and most of my children have come from teacher to teacher recommendations. In my experience, teachers are great parents to work with. I've never had any problems with payments and they stick by the "rules" in my policies. They are generally fairly easy going parents too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now