Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

trial period for a nanny? is this possible?

(15 Posts)
bumbleandbumble Tue 06-Jan-15 21:00:48

I am interviewing nannies for the first time. We have found one we like, but as I am new to this I was wondering is it possible to offer her the job on a trial basis? Can I say lets see how you go after a few weeks?

Or should I not tell her that its a trial period and then if we are not happy just tell her its not working out...

Nannies- has anyone offered/said this to you? Is that normal procedure or am I being paranoid

namelessposter Tue 06-Jan-15 21:03:55

Yes, I have done this. And I have parted ways with one nanny when it wasn't working out as we both hoped.

namelessposter Tue 06-Jan-15 21:04:58

Yes, I have done this. And I have parted ways with one nanny when it wasn't working out as we both hoped.

BMO Tue 06-Jan-15 21:05:23

Lots of jobs have a probationary period with a week's notice from either side.

Tapestry12 Tue 06-Jan-15 21:37:08

4-6 weeks probationary period the norm. One week's notice for either party.

Cindy34 Tue 06-Jan-15 22:23:25

Have never had a trial period.

Having a probationary period in contract is fine, as then either side can end the arrangement if it is not working out by giving a shorter period of notice than that which may be in the contract for after probation.

Not sure that thinking things won't work out is a good way to start off. Could it be an indicator that you don't really want a nanny? Is it just nerves about having someone new care for your child/children, going back to work?

littleladyluna Fri 09-Jan-15 21:12:19

A probationary period written into the contract is fairly standard.

I was once offered a "trial period" by a family who had been burned by their previous nanny and were obviously being more cautious in recruiting her replacement. They were basically wanted the option of letting me go with no notice if things "didn't work out". They failed to see that this obvious negative attitude was offputting, and at the same time I was offered other jobs, which by comparison, were far more attractive. Be careful that you don't put nannies off.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 14-Jan-15 12:56:13

I've had prospective nannies do a trial day or even several but unless they are currently unemployed with nothing better to do, it's rare that it's possible. I'd never leave a job to go to a "trial period" that's for sure.

It is a leap of faith. On hiring, the norm is a probation period during which there is a shorter notice period. So for 3 months for example, you might only give 2 weeks notice. If you wish to give notice and can't bear the sight of the nanny then you obviously have to pay the two weeks.

None of which means you have to pay a notice period for gross negligence or gross misconduct.

maggiethemagpie Wed 14-Jan-15 20:50:25

Yes, it's called a probationary period. Most employers will put new staff on probation for a few months before confirming them in role.

whitechocolatestars Wed 14-Jan-15 20:56:01

Did you hire her yourself or through an agency? Mine is through and agency and we have a 4 week probationary period written into the contract but after this point it is only one month's written notice.

There are companies who can help with nanny paye, they don't cost much in the scheme of overall nannying - about £200 a year? They can also help or advise you on contracts.

whitechocolatestars Wed 14-Jan-15 20:56:29

* one week, not one month

HairyOrk Fri 16-Jan-15 14:27:52

It's normal to have a trial day or few days, up to a week which is considered part of the interview process (paid) and then have a 3 month probation period where 2-4 weeks notice can be given

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 16-Jan-15 14:38:30

trial period - not really.
probation period - completely standard.

I think the difference is that 'trial period' sounds like an extended interview i.e. you don't really have the job yet and you could be asked to leave at any point. Probation period means you have the job unless there is a problem/it's not working out. Notice is given, but it only needs to be a week or so (shorter than it would normally be).

MiscellaneousAssortment Fri 16-Jan-15 16:39:42

You can do a trial session and then it's normal to have a probationary period written into the contract. Do you mean one of those?

bumbleandbumble Sat 17-Jan-15 14:43:31

ok thanks. I guess I meant probation period... This is the first time I have left my children with a nanny and I guess I just wanted to know what to do if me/the kids didnt like her.

but so far its going ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now