Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Would you let a nanny with broken foot look after your child?

(11 Posts)
dsmith7384 Tue 06-Jan-15 20:50:12

Part time Nanny has broken her foot, she looks after my 2 year old and their usually routine is very busy and they are always out and about at classes etc. She's having surgery and will be on crutches but has said she is willing to still work... I am not sure whether this is safe just interested to hear some opinions?

ChocolateBiscuitCake Tue 06-Jan-15 21:21:32

I had this with a 2-day nanny who broke her leg. It was a nightmare tbh. Obviously she did not work initially until out of plaster etc, but when she returned to work, she couldn't push the buggy, struggled with up/down stairs.

In my view the whole point of a nanny (which is not cheap!) is to be able to take a toddler out and run them ragged. There is no way they can work in the same way as before.

I would avoid.

OutragedFromLeeds Tue 06-Jan-15 22:27:03

Well, if you broke your foot what would you do? Send DD to someone else to look after for 6 weeks? Or make the best of it?

If the nanny says she is able to work, then take her word for it. You need to trust her judgement as it's her foot and her job. I'd wait until after she's had the op though, she may change her mind about how able she is.

She will probably need to take it easy/go out less etc., but that's not a safety issue. Your DD will be as safe sat on the sofa reading a book as she would be at playgroup. She might be bored, but she'll be safe.

DearGirl Wed 07-Jan-15 07:26:58

I agree with Outraged. I am a nanny to a toddler and from possibly climbing the steep stairs to the upstairs could definitely look after dc. We may not get out as much unless a other nanny didn't mind giving us lifts to groups bit we could stay at home; bake, paint, play, have friends over etc. I know my nanny friends would help if needed too

FishWithABicycle Wed 07-Jan-15 07:37:47

Can you increase the kitty to cover two taxi fares a day so they aren't stuck at home?

It's not a "safety" issue to have a nanny with a broken foot. As outraged said, sitting at home DD will be bored, but safe. You and the nanny should go through a list of normal activities and work out what is still possible, possible with a reasonable adjustment or not possible until her foot is better.

I think you can make the best of it and it'll be ok.

HSMMaCM Wed 07-Jan-15 09:46:50

It'll be fine. Parents with a broken bone still look after their children. As mentioned, just run through normal activities and see what can be done.

Buscake Wed 07-Jan-15 09:51:52

I broke my foot in 5 places with a 1yr old and a potty training 3yr old to look after on my own! It was hard work but we all managed. I couldn't get out of the house because I couldn't manage crutches and pushing the buggy but friends and family came over, I was able to cook, do crafts, play games, let them loose in the garden etc. it was only 6 weeks and once out of plaster I wasn't straight back to normal but at least we could walk round the block. There are always ways to work around these problems and if she wants to try working with it, you should let her.

Jinxxx Wed 07-Jan-15 10:24:44

I think whether it is a safety issue depends on the numbers, ages and abilities of the children. I had my foot in plaster with two (heavy) non-walkers and one who could walk but not be depended upon to follow instructions, so I would have had difficulty evacuating them safely from a burning building or dealing with a serious accident. I did not return to work until I was confident I was up to normal duties. You could argue that a parent would have had to carry on regardless, but I wouldn't risk it with somebody else's children. I also wonder if insurance would be valid, or whether OFSTED registration would be suspended? I am pretty sure OFSTED Would come down like the proverbial ton of bricks if there were an accident (assuming the nanny is registered) and they had not been informed about the "change of circumstances".

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 08-Jan-15 02:15:33

Jinx you're absolutely right that whether it's safe or not depends on the specific circumstances, but don't you think the OP's nanny knows the circumstances better than anyone else? It is after all, her foot and her job. If she feels it is safe and appropriate for her to be at work then it is probably safe and appropriate for her to be at work.

Unless the OP has general/pre-existing doubts about the nanny's judgement, but there is no indication of that in the OP.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 08-Jan-15 08:40:34

Sure nanny will be fine. It's one child - if was 2/3 toddlers then different

bbcessex Thu 08-Jan-15 13:45:05

Personally, I'd be delighted if my nanny was happy to still work in the situation.

Yes, she/he won't be as active or mobile, but they'll still be able to manage. Won't get any awards for style or technique, you should expect to increase the kitty for alternative travel / perhaps more soft play/costly activities, but you'll still have consistent childcare, won't have to pay temporary cover, your toddler won't (really) know much difference and everyone's happy.

Good news that your nanny is reliable and conscientious (imo). Woo hoo I say!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now