Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Cost of one off Nanny for wedding

(29 Posts)
floellabenjaminsearrings Mon 05-Jan-15 11:54:07

We have a family wedding this summer and I am trying to get an idea of how much it would cost us to hire a nanny for the day. I am just not sure where to start looking, as we don't live locally to where the wedding is taking place (East Sussex).

We will be staying in a holiday home we have booked, and the childcare would take place there (30 mins from the wedding venue). It would be for 4 children (20mths to 5 years) from 2 family groups. We don't have timings yet, but I would imagine it would be roughly from lunchtime until 7-8pm, as my parents aren't intending to stay for the evening do, so would take over childcare for the evening.

Would it be better to have 2 nannies working together for this many children (DH is a worrier grin)? And, does anyone have any idea of the going rate for this type of thing?

FlorenceMattell Mon 05-Jan-15 12:19:20

What are the ages of all the children? I think three children fine for one nanny but for caring for four might depend on ages. Particularly as I imagining it would involve giving supper and getting children ready for bed.
The hours sound fine , most nannies have a minimum booking of 3-4 hours.
Cost I'm not in that area so difficult to say.

oranges Mon 05-Jan-15 12:23:13

try on sitters.co.uk .

Artandco Mon 05-Jan-15 12:24:23

I would book x2 nannies tbh. For a full time nanny x4 children is no problem, but these children will have never met the nannies beforehand.
With x2 it means X1 could take youngest for walk to nap if they won't sleep but tired, or be settling those to sleep who want it and the other can entertain those older with games etc.

It depends on how far they would have to travel from etc but I would guess £500 will cover 8/9hours of x2 nannies, plus their food and travel on the day.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 05-Jan-15 16:15:02

i do this kind of work through agencies and also word of mouth, date depending i could be free and from kent so not that far away

would def advise 2 nannies as of the age groups

looking at prob £15 gross per nanny per hour so £30ph x say 8hrs - rough cost plus travel costs (2hrs) as assuming you about an hour away from me depending where in east sussex, so say 10hrs in all including travel and 8hrs childcare, rough cost if myself and a friend did it would be £300 plus food/snacks/drinks for us both

if you want any more info then feel free to mess me smile

im a NNEB nanny with over 23years sole charge exp from new born (including several sets of twins) to 11yrs- have dbs, first aid and pli and would bring a friend with me who was of the same calibre wink

ssd Mon 05-Jan-15 16:18:40

blonde, why does she pay your to travel, or am I getting that bit wrong? surely its up to you to take a job you can get to and not expect the parent to pay for you to come from a distance?

TBH I think you are charging too much here, and I'm a nneb too

ssd Mon 05-Jan-15 16:20:01

though what do I know, I dont live in the south east, I guess if they are willing to pay £300 then you might as well ask for it

SillyPops Mon 05-Jan-15 16:21:29

Personally I think one nanny would be fine if they're fairly 'good' children, and I would expect to pay about £100-£150 for that.

You could potentially find a babysitter for half that price, but trust me, you'll regret it!

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 05-Jan-15 16:22:52

if i have to travel over 30mins i add on travel costs, always have done for jobs, i tell parents this upfront and up to them if they accept it iyswim

same for any temp/mat jobs i do, im self employed and thats my terms

if i have to travel for say 2hrs and work for 8hrs, that means im only really being paid for 6hrs

same with £15, thats basic for wedding crèches for my area and someone with my experiences, some agencies will charge less but thats my rate smile

ssd Mon 05-Jan-15 16:37:38

fair enough smile

floellabenjaminsearrings Mon 05-Jan-15 19:59:58

Thanks for your replies everyone. At the moment I am just trying to get a guide as to cost, as DH isn't convinced and DSis will need to be convinced. I will keep you in mind though blondes smile.

There are some really useful thoughts, and it is good to know that there is a reasonable consensus on having two nannies.

m0therofdragons Mon 05-Jan-15 20:04:59

How old are the other two? I regularly looked after 2 2yos and 3 5yos at the same time and 5 year olds were a breeze. 2yos needed more attention. I'm surprised people think 4 is too many for one nanny in one house. But I'm not a nanny, just mum of 3dc.

Artandco Mon 05-Jan-15 20:11:23

Mother - it's because with your own children or friends the children all know you. A temp nanny will meet the children 10mins before being left, so won't know any of their ways, likes or preferences

OutragedFromLeeds Mon 05-Jan-15 20:21:35

What Art said.

Unbelievably enormous difference between looking after children you know and who know you in a familiar environment and children you meet 10 mins before taking sole charge of them who are in a holiday home.

Cindy34 Mon 05-Jan-15 20:23:06

Another reason to have two is so that if anything happened, one could stay with the children and other go and get help.
Also child protection, one person on their own could do anything but with two there is someone else there to say what happened.

Have only ever done creche at Church. There is has to be two adults... ideally two people whose role it is to do it, though sometimes that does not happen and a parent has to stay otherwise no creche.

Whilst parents in your case will be still on the same site, they may not be in the same room or indeed that close to it. So having two people would be reasonable.

Check who will provide equipment/toys/crayons/paper. Check location, is it suitable such as being easy access to a loo? Don't want the children roaming around the hotel finding a toilet.

m0therofdragons Mon 05-Jan-15 20:23:32

I do get that. Mine just seem to behave better for strangers.

christmaspies Mon 05-Jan-15 20:29:13

What about investigating local childminders?

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 05-Jan-15 20:44:48

ditto what art said, as a nanny i can and have easily looked after 4 children, but in these circumstances ie 4 children who dont know the adult,plus have a younger one who may need changing etc and then older child needing a toilet/falling over/wanting to play etc

slightly easier in a holiday home rather then hotel/wedding venue as many of the crèches i do are in, as more contained and can let a child go for a wee alone in a house where as in a hotel/other wedding venue need to be with them at all times

a good point about another adult for emergencies and child protection

in this case cindy no parents are about, wedding venue is 30mins away from holiday home where children will be

fbearings hopefully this has given you some points to ponder, def adults needed and if you want any more info then do contact me smile

wewishyou Mon 05-Jan-15 21:34:52

"if i have to travel for say 2hrs and work for 8hrs, that means im only really being paid for 6hrs" Isn't it the case for everybody though? Well good for you if you find people ready to always pay wathever price you ask (I remember you rates for babysitting wink ). I guess that's the perk of being self employed.

OutragedFromLeeds Mon 05-Jan-15 21:53:17

All self-employed people will factor the cost/time taken to travel into their fees, that's why plumbers/electricians etc. are so expensive. You're covering their travel/lunch/holiday etc. not just the 10 minutes they spend looking at your boiler wink

FlorenceMattell Mon 05-Jan-15 22:10:00

Wewishyou adding travel costs when you are self employed is fairer than putting up the hourly fees for everyone. If someone lives 10 minutes away why should they pay more to offset someone who lives over an hour away.
A self employed rate is one that is before tax and NI , advertising, website , office, accountancy costs. Clients don't have to pay it they can use another service provider. When you take a job as an employee you factor in the cost of travel against the salary. If the travel costs are too high you wouldn't take the job. You can't compare.

PixieofCatan Mon 05-Jan-15 22:25:00

I'm in E.Sussex, the agency I am with advertises this kind of thing to us nannies often, they often ask for pairs for four kids too. I'd agree with the others there, I have looked after four children before but I wouldn't want to look after four children who are strangers as they'll be unfamiliar with me and I wouldn't be familiar with them either.

If you went through an agency the nanny would be looking at getting £10-12ph in Sussex. Though I'd say pay more if you find people privately seeing as you're skipping on the agency fees.

wewish As outraged says, it's part of the fees really isn't it? If you're self employed there is a lot of extra things that need paying for and you don't have employers to pay for them, so you factor them into your fees. For some that means upping their hourly rate, for others it means charging for extra travel.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 06-Jan-15 00:09:40

Sorry. Didn't think my post and costs would cause such a debate shock grin

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Tue 06-Jan-15 00:49:51

I have done this kind of work and recently did at a wedding venue in the cottage on site was 2 x 2yr olds (one just 2 other nrly 3) and a just 5yr old, one in nappies, was suppose to have a 3mth old some of time too (sad story that goes with why I didn't which won't go into)

Anyway yes I would look after 4 children who I haven't met before and insurance covers upto 6. (Have had 6 I have never met in a hotel room as other nanny booked was unavailable at last min - I was paid double but never again was madness).

Two nannies would be great but cost wise I think it's alot for most parents attending a wedding.

My costs would be similar to blondes I however quote a higher hrly rate now for those further away to factor in travel as had the whole querying why charge for travel time in past.

sunshinenanny Tue 06-Jan-15 01:07:54

you get what you pay for and it is normal to pay travel cost in these circumstances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now