Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au pairs from New Zealand or Australia - visa?

(6 Posts)
Yanka Sun 04-Jan-15 19:44:01

Hi there, after years of full time nannies, we are ready to take the leap into the au-pair world...
I saw a few great candidates from NZ/Australia - and wondered if it is significantly more difficult to bring girls over from down under than the EU candidates?
Anyone had experience of this?

Many thanks!

mrswishywashy Sun 04-Jan-15 23:14:04

You could get someone on an ancestral visa that allows them to work or someone like me who is a NZer and also has a English mother so I have UK citizenship. There is no au pair visa so if they are coming on an ancestral visa it would be simple as visa is already done however I'd make sure you have official confirmation of their visa before offering them the job.

ICanTotallyDance Mon 05-Jan-15 05:54:27

This is the advice my niece was given regarding a gap year in the UK from Tutors Worldwide. I'm not sure if it's applicable for au pair :

The UK Border Agency, a section of the UK Home Office, has fairly recently completed a major review of entry categories for those wishing to work in the United Kingdom.

There are four different categories under which you may enter the UK for a gap year:

1 With an EU/UK Passport.

2 With a UK Ancestral Visa in your New Zealand passport (currently available to those with a [blood] grandparent born in the UK). You can (currently) apply for this visa more than once in a lifetime.
Both of these categories allow you free access to working in the UK.

3 Tier 5 - Youth Mobility Scheme.

4 Tier 5 - Temporary Worker - Charity Worker.
Both of these categories are part of the new “Points Based System” (PBS) for entry to work in the UK.

3 Tier 5 - Youth Mobility Scheme Visa: • is available to those between the ages of 18 and 30 (on arrival in the UK);
• lasts for two years and cannot be interrupted once started;
• is obtainable once in a personʼs lifetime.

4 Tier 5 - Temporary Worker - Charity Worker Visa: • is available to those above the age of 17 (on arrival in the UK);
• lasts for one year;
• enables recipients to return to the UK at a later date under the YMS (above).

Of options (3) and (4), option (4) MAY at first seem the more attractive from the gap tutorʼs perspective (the only option for some people because of age). This option involves schools in a sponsorship cost, which many are happy to pay. However as “charity workers” tutors are not allowed to receive any “monetary reward”, but are permitted to be “reimbursed expenses”. There may therefore be a need for a higher level of financial backing from home.

Option 3: While this visa may seem a less attractive option at first, it is important to bear some further aspects in mind, e.g.:

• There is no way of being certain that this visa will remain in place for ever; there is a chance that if you decide not to use it for your gap year, you may end up not being able to use it at all, if it changes or is withdrawn.

• Many may have every intention of using the YMS visa at a later date. However in reality, the number who do so is much smaller, in which case it may be entirely wasted!

• While it is not possible to return to the UK using the YMS visa at a later date, avenues such as sponsorship are still available. For further information see the UKBA/Home Office website, where up-to-date information can be found – the UK immigration policy does seem to change at frequent intervals.

• You can be paid in the normal way under the YMS visa.
The information contained in this section is accurate at the time of writing (July 2014). Visa regulations are likely to change without warning. We will endeavour to keep this information as up-to-date as possible, but changes may not be immediately reflected. Please consult the relevant websites.

For more specific information you could try *this* *official* *website* or look at these helpful pages on au pair world *this* *one* from the point of view of the au pair ( including a link to a helpful page about requirements for candidates who don't have EU residency ) and *this* *one* designed for UK host families.

Hope that helps!

Karoleann Mon 05-Jan-15 08:33:12


I think we're going to host an australian au pair next. There are basically two options an ancestral VISA as the mrswishywashy mentioned above and a Tier 5 mobility VISA.


I expect ours is going to get an ancestral VISA as she wants to come back and work in the UK at a later date (and you can't easily extend a tier 5 VISA).

violetbunny Mon 05-Jan-15 18:24:20

I've worked in the UK on a Tier 5 youth mobility visa as a kiwi - it's not difficult to get but only lasts 2 years. It cannot be extended all. All the info regarding the process is on the UKBA website.

Yanka Mon 05-Jan-15 19:29:40

Thank you so much for all the advice - so while a little less straight forward than EU national, it still sounds doable.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: