Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny working after little sleep

(19 Posts)
WanttogotoDisney Sun 04-Jan-15 18:39:31

Our wonderful nanny's flight home is delayed and she won't be back until at least 3am. She is on duty from 7.15am. Do you think it is safe for her to have sole charge - including driving - on so little sleep?

queenofthepirates Sun 04-Jan-15 18:45:48

Noooooooooo!

QuietTinselTardis Sun 04-Jan-15 18:45:55

Would you want to look after I presume small children on that little sleep?

thenightsky Sun 04-Jan-15 18:48:36

I've regularly arrived home from hols at 230am and find by the time I've got myself washed and changed it is 4am when I get into bed. I always book the next day off work and sleep deeply and soundly until at least lunchtime.

callamia Sun 04-Jan-15 18:50:37

I think she'll be exhausted. How is she getting back from the airport? I reckon half a day to catch up would help - I would be worried about driving, but more ok with staying at home if it's possible.

Theas18 Sun 04-Jan-15 18:52:19

Dunno - as a parent you'd have to I guess but a duvet and DVD sort of day if you could!

Can you cover the morning for her or even just the school run?

KatherinaMinola Sun 04-Jan-15 18:53:43

No! And as for driving - you'd have to be insane. Bit irresponsible of her to arrive home the day before being due at work - delays do happen - but one of you will need to take a domestic day and give her the day off.

BMO Sun 04-Jan-15 18:54:00

Not driving, but should be ok for a duvet day at home.

Viviennemary Sun 04-Jan-15 18:57:14

Not driving. But she should be OK to be in charge if she is generally responsible.

LynetteScavo Sun 04-Jan-15 19:00:03

Not driving, but if she's young she should be fine to work.

Personally I could do it, and then have an early night, but that's just me.

Lots of nannies are expected to work after travelling long haul while working. It's all part of the job...but I wouldn't expect someone to drive my DC around after very little sleep. And definitely don't make her take the DC swimming, as that would be just cruel. grin

AuditAngel Sun 04-Jan-15 19:01:44

I guess it depends on the person. I can function reasonably on 3 hours sleep, DH struggles on double that.

WanttogotoDisney Sun 04-Jan-15 19:26:14

I have said she must get 6 hours sleep so if she gets in at 3am she should sleep til 9am and DH will cover until then. I'll worry all day otherwise. No school tomorrow but the DC have more than enough telly over the Christmas break.

I'd never expect a nanny to work after flying long haul. I always pack them off to bed as soon as we arrive and give time off in lieu for any extra hours spent travelling.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 04-Jan-15 20:16:31

I think she would be fine. It's a one off. Parents cope with little sleep and go to work

She couid snooze on flight and grab a few hours then go to work and have early night that evening

I have flown in at airport 3/4am after delays and been at work 7am - not ideal but it's once in a blue moon.

Very nice for you to arrange for her to start late

schlafenfreude Sun 04-Jan-15 21:03:51

I think it also depends on the length of the flight etc. A 6 hour flight I could sleep on would be different to a 1 hour hop.

WanttogotoDisney Sun 04-Jan-15 21:27:12

Short hop followed by an hour and a half drive. Flight even more delayed so probably won't be back til 4am now. All sorted now anyway.

DearGirl Sun 04-Jan-15 21:28:05

Depends on the flight and the time difference (ie where she had been) short haul, easily done with kids having a day at home or even play dates with friends

OutragedFromLeeds Sun 04-Jan-15 23:35:58

It would be perfectly safe for her to look after them on little sleep, but it wouldn't be very nice for her (and possibly them) so I think allowing her to come in a bit late is probably the best solution.

DearGirl Mon 05-Jan-15 08:00:20

I have had about 2.5 hours sleep, despite me being in bed for 10pm. Here goes a day of toddler tantrums and a lot of caffeine.

Mumoftwoyoungkids Mon 05-Jan-15 10:30:36

DearGirl Ditto! (Well I wasn't in bed for 10 but that is because ds woke at 9:45 and it took me until 12:30am to get him back off.)

You mean some people look after small children after 7 hours sleep? How strange! (And I also do a very complex highly mathematical technical job 3 days a week. In the 6 months I've been back at work I have not once had more than 5.5 hours sleep the night before.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now