Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

New nanny starting tomorrow - how to manage settling in?

(6 Posts)
PassTheCremeEggs Sun 04-Jan-15 17:53:06

I have a new nanny starting tomorrow for my 2.5 and 1 year olds. Never had a nanny before as always done nursery for the eldest. I'm not back to work until next week and she's doing three days this week settling in - how is best to handle it? She's nannied for 15 years so not worried about her experience. Is it best to leave her to it as much as possible? Any tips very welcome both from nannies and parents! Thanks all

DearGirl Sun 04-Jan-15 17:56:54

I like to just get on with it. A quick cup of tea and info given if needed and then just get on with it.

PassTheCremeEggs Sun 04-Jan-15 18:01:33

Thanks Deargirl. Do you find the children settle with you better doing it that way? Nurseries always do the gradual lengthening of time settling in so I wondered if that was the best thing to do with our nanny too. If she's happy to be left though I'm very happy to have some time to myself!

Yerazig Sun 04-Jan-15 18:31:49

Most ofbny new jobs may have done a morning with the mum then been left to it. With a nanny with that much experience I would maybe stay an hour show her around point out where everything is and leave her to get on with it.

Callaird Sun 04-Jan-15 18:35:52

Most of my hand overs have been a week.

Day one with mum showing me around the house, how the washing machine, dishwasher work (I know I could probably figure it out but much easier to been shown) I ask what she doesn't want put in the dish washer or tumble dryer. Where lightbulbs, screw drivers, fuses, torch, candles, matches are kept, just in case. Where the fuse box/es is/are. Talk about routine/classes/food they like. Generally follow them around and see how they do things and play with the children.

Day two with mum at breakfast time and getting the children washed and dressed and then me taking them off to their class, back for lunch with mum hiding out of the way and then mum helping put them down for nap. After nap get the children to show me the garden or local park and back for tea and bath/bed time routine.

Day three on my own all day with mum in the house for the majority of the day incase I need anything.

Day four and five with mum going off out to do bits and pieces, haircut/nails/pamper in preparation for back to work!

I have only taken jobs with newborns for the last 24 years and so I never have to deal with separation anxiety from the children but in temp jobs, I prefer no handover, just to hit the ground running, I think it is best for the children. It depends on how the children are with the nanny and mummy around together. My 15 month old charge is a little monster when mum is around and really pushes the boundaries with us both, so if mum works from home, she is banished to the spare room until he goes for a nap.

PassTheCremeEggs Sun 04-Jan-15 20:14:41

Thanks everyone - looks like a bit of time together then handing over to her is the way to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now