Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Settling in with new nanny - work at home mother

(8 Posts)
HyperThread Sun 04-Jan-15 13:28:22

Hi,

My new nanny is starting next week, and I work from home (door to office will be shut the entire time she is here).

How should we do the settling in sessions/manage the first few days? My LO is 18 months old.

Thanks flowers

DearGirl Sun 04-Jan-15 13:33:11

I started my job with a work at home mum. First day I did a short day with mum at home with us for the morning showing me where everything was then she went out for a couple of hours - I got to explore the house properly and bond a little with the baby while mum was out . Then when she got back we had a cup of tea and chat before I took the baby for a walk. Then u left to for the day. The next day, mum went in the office and part from the occasional tea break was out of sight but close enough in case I had any questions.

HyperThread Sun 04-Jan-15 14:49:46

Thanks DearGirl, I think I'll try that.

Was it difficult having mum in the same house? I'm worried LO will come up to the office door and ask for me.

Artandco Sun 04-Jan-15 14:54:55

I would also suggest half the day in, half the day away. That way baby gets used to nanny being person they go to during work hours. So maybe show around area/ help with lunch and nap routines the first day, but then suggest nanny takes child out for a few hours in the afternoon

Write a list of nap and food preferences

And big one is don't let baby go into your office any more. If you want to be with child make a point of saying you will be 2 mins and then will come and see her in living room/ bedroom/ garden etc. that will help child as she grows to learn not to interrupt when in the office

HyperThread Sun 04-Jan-15 15:24:49

Art, thank you. The problem is office is actually in my bedroom, so I won't be able to keep her away from it during the rest of the time. We have no other space. Any ideas?

Artandco Sun 04-Jan-15 15:32:05

Does she have own bedroom? If so I would still say keep her out of your bedroom during your working hours.
Maybe add a ribbon on the door? Red
Ribbon with door closed means mummy is working, door open without means she is
Welcome in

DearGirl Sun 04-Jan-15 16:01:51

It's worked well although we are only now approaching the age that charge knows where the office is and bangs on the door. As long as you and the nanny are on the same page re discipline and you don't come in and say yes when nanny has said no then all should be fine. I tend to be out and about a lot with dcs during the week and we may only see mum for 10 minutes here and there as a nanny who used to say I wouldn't work for wahp I find it a okay most of the time.

HyperThread Sun 04-Jan-15 19:54:06

Art, that's a great idea!

Dear, it's reassuring to hear that it works! Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now