Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM: Safety glass

(8 Posts)
Stickhasgrownup Sun 04-Jan-15 13:26:33

I've tried googling but not had much luck....
Is there a height above which the glass does not have to be safety glass? My doors have 20 separate panes and I'm wondering if I have to cover all the panes?
Also if I have a sofa in front of other set of doors do I need to put the film on that set?
Lastly any idea how easy it is to do film yourself? Any recommendations of where to buy?
Sorry about all the questions....

kathryng90 Sun 04-Jan-15 15:04:43

Which doors? If front/back door can u do risk assessment to demonstrate how u would keep kids away from door ie child gate? Internal door I would think all of it as risk of slamming/throwing something and breaking it. I had glass front door and tried to use film it looked a mess so I replaced door. Sorry not much help!

almaradlu Sun 04-Jan-15 18:35:48

Not sure about the height where it may not need covering.

We had to cover 6 doors when we moved 11 years ago and bought ours form B & Q .
Ive just had a look and Mothercare has it and it is on sale.

DH put it up and he said it was a bit of a nightmare to put up as he had loads of air pockets.

We have since changed 3 of the doors(2 either side of the playroom and back door) so less risk now.

As for looking messy, it is not to bad on the doors with the patterned glass but can really notice it on the plain glass door.

hooker29 Tue 06-Jan-15 20:29:55

there will be stamps on them somewhere-may be very small-to show that they're safety glass.if they're made after the 1980's then they should be safety glass unless the panes are less than 14 cm wide then they don't need to be (DH just told me this-he's been a glazier for 30 years...)

HSMMaCM Wed 07-Jan-15 09:42:17

We covered one door with lots of panes. DH did it, but he's pretty good at not getting air bubbles in window film. We did all the panes, in case of missiles toys being thrown.

HSMMaCM Wed 07-Jan-15 09:43:00

Also ... As mentioned above, it's not conpulsory, you just have to show how you've risk assessed it.

Stickhasgrownup Wed 07-Jan-15 21:04:02

Thanks all.
Managed to find some info that advised to cover up to height of 80cm. Have brought enough film to cover all windows below this height and will see how I get on with it. If its not too tricky and I'm feeling rich I may do more. Cost £50 so far and will prob need to spend a further £100 so will need to spread cost anyway.

busyDays Thu 08-Jan-15 13:35:59

When I registered a few years back I was told up to a height of 1m. The LA handed out a sample risk assessment and that's what was on there, and what I've always gone by.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: