Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is there anything you would have included in your au pair contract with the benefit of hindsight?

(8 Posts)
MrsFogi Fri 02-Jan-15 21:10:11

I am just finalising the contract for our au pair who is arriving soon. Another mner has kindly let me have a copy of her contract but as this is the only one I have seen I just wanted to see if anyone had any views or experience on items that a rookie might not have included on a first attempt?

LtGreggs Fri 02-Jan-15 21:22:40

I was thinking about this today smile

Our contract is quite long - because I wanted to be very clear about expectations, and I recommend that approach in general.

The nice - to - have that I was thinking about today: or first au-pair was quite keen to cook for the family one a week or so, and would often start off dinner of an evening. That was above & beyond contact, but was fantastic. Next two au pairs have not been keen / taken initiative on this. But I'm thinking to make it part of the role next time as it was such a practical help (and also should be very doable now kids are bit older and need less hands on after school care.)

LtGreggs Fri 02-Jan-15 21:27:01

Other things that we have tweaked over time incl payday - they have to take payment to bank account, not cash (so I can just set up dd), and we moved payday from Friday to Thursday as realised that it helped them with weekend activity planning (we had one au pair who was very strapped for cash - no back-up fund - it was fine as she was very careful but this was an easy thing to do for us that helped her have a nicer time)

MrsFogi Sat 03-Jan-15 17:57:42

Thanks so much for these, I wouldn't have thought of either including the points or indeed have thought about dd etc.

FairyTrain Sat 03-Jan-15 19:52:56

I would put in the contract what is expected if children are sick/unexpectedly off school & also if au pair is sick.
Also, something about not using phone unless emergency, whilst on duty...

OVienna Sun 04-Jan-15 18:42:24

Something about the potential consequences of unauthorised leave. Not sure what I will say exactly but want to cover myself better for someone not returning on the agreed date from holidays.

Artandco Mon 05-Jan-15 19:00:31

Fairy - why no phone? I have managed to use my phone on and off today whilst looking after own children. None emergency, but none playing around either. I looked up x2 recipes, looked up and called dentist re children's appointment, called dh to get some milk, txt neighbour regarding play date with children next week etc.. All beneficial to children tbh.

As long as they aren't glued to it all day surely it's ok in these times?

ChocolateBiscuitCake Tue 06-Jan-15 20:38:40

With the benefit of hindsight:

1. I would explain that they were welcome to take leave over Christmas but would like them to return by 31st December (we live rurally and couldn't get a babysitter!).

2. We would prefer the au pair to not take a second formal job (fine to do babysitting etc) as we have now had to put au pair on a payroll system that has cost us £250. Grrrrrrr.

3. Definitely INSIST that they do a language course - it is the only way for them to make friends and get out of the house (our au pair stays in all the time - such a waste of the year abroad and I hate the lack of privacy).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now