Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Returning to work as a nanny/ maternity nanny

(11 Posts)
ichangedmymindagain Fri 02-Jan-15 17:16:14

Hi , looking for some friendly advice from both parents and nannies.
I am a NNEB a nanny with over 30 years experience , for the last few years I have been taking care of my son who has Down' s syndrome .
I now find myself being able to return full time as a nanny or Maternity nanny( something I did before I had my children) and I was wondering if people will still employ me because of my age ( 52) or should I think about a different direction in childcare .
I have been working part time as a nanny whist taking care of my son but not for nearly a year now. I've book on a first aid course and also looking at the MNT maternity course ( will I get the work after paying out for this course).

I'm looking at registering with a few agency's now Christmas is out of the way . Any advice welcome
Thanks

balancingfigure Fri 02-Jan-15 17:22:07

I would appreciate the experience especially as a maternity nanny. I think people may be concerned about your energy levels running around after kids and so I would be prepared to defend though

ichangedmymindagain Fri 02-Jan-15 17:33:31

Thanks balancingfigure ,I'm reasonable fit as still been running around still after my adult son ,but I'm going to join a gym increase my fitness level..

nbee84 Fri 02-Jan-15 18:02:13

I'm a 45 year old nanny - I would like to think that 7 years from now I will still have enough energy to look after babies and toddlers. In the back of my mind I have a sort of plan that if I find little ones too tiring I may move onto a nanny/housekeeper type job with school aged children but that will hopefully not be for a long time yet.

I have found my energy levels do differ from when I was a nanny in my 20's - but this tends to be at the end of the day rather than during the day. As a youngster I often went for a swim/to the gym/out for drinks at the end of a 12 hour working day. These days I head home for dinner and slob in front of the tv until bedtime grin I can handle one weekday night out, but definitely not two in a row!

jendot2 Fri 02-Jan-15 20:18:38

I don't think your age will be a problem. I would happily employ a mature nanny or maternity nanny.

wewishyou Fri 02-Jan-15 21:00:12

I have always heard from mothers that they like ]their Maternity nurse to be more experienced and mature

ichangedmymindagain Fri 02-Jan-15 21:03:59

Thank you ,everyone .will book book myself onto the MNT training course and go from there .

Karoleann Fri 02-Jan-15 21:09:03

I don't think you'll have any problems getting a good post, 52 is not old at all.
My eldest is 8 and at his school I am the second youngest mum - I'm 40 this year! You're also unlikely to get pregnant which is a huge bonus.

I would just think about being a nanny though. Maternity nursing is very full on especially with PFB parents.

Hamsolo Fri 02-Jan-15 21:11:51

It wouldn't put me off at all. Our nanny is mid-40s (I think, haven't asked!) and she's brilliant with our 2 yr old. If we have to look again an older nanny would be high up my list.

Tapestry12 Sat 03-Jan-15 10:14:48

Go for it. Try an agency in the first instance. There are lots of them. So join the ones you like and go from there.
Once you re-establish yourself you will find you are in demand.
Older nannies seem to be popular.

NannyLA Mon 05-Jan-15 16:58:57

1 am a 47 year old nanny. Still loving my career and in demand! Long may it last.

I did the MNT course a few years back, just as a refresher really, found it interesting and informative .

You may want to get Ofsted registered too as many people require that now.

Good Luck with your job hunt!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now