Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Sick, holiday and maternity pay for part-time nanny?

(7 Posts)
NumptyNu Wed 31-Dec-14 13:05:06

If I hire a part-time nanny, am I responsible for such things as holiday, sick and maternity pay?

306235388 Wed 31-Dec-14 13:05:55

Yes as you'd be their employer

306235388 Wed 31-Dec-14 13:08:03

Read thos

nbee84 Wed 31-Dec-14 13:40:02

Yes, your nanny would be entitled to holiday pay which you would pay - 28 days per year, pro rata'd for a part time employee. So. 16.8 days for a 3 day a week employee for example. Bank holidays can be taken out of these days.

Sick pay - you can write ssp into the contract, which is no pay for the 1st 3 days of sickness and then statutory sick pay (which used to be covered by the government but is now the employers responsibility). Currently £87.55 per week.

Maternity pay is recoverable from the government, you can recover 104%. The extra 4% is to cover employer's national insurance which you still have to pay while nanny is on maternity leave. She would still accrue holiday while on maternity leave which you would have to cover the cost of.

nannynick Wed 31-Dec-14 13:54:10

Depends on employment status as you pointed out on the Self Employed Nanny thread.

Generally nannies are employees, rate to be self employed so Yes all statutory employment rights will apply. Some things will vary on working hours such as holiday entitlement as they are calculated on a basis of working hours. Some things may depend on salary, I think SMP might vary on that.

nannynick Wed 31-Dec-14 14:11:34

Useful info:

ACAS: Holidays and Holiday Pay

Gov.uk: Recovery of Statutory Payments

Citizens Advice: Rights at Work

NumptyNu Wed 31-Dec-14 17:56:21

Perfect, better get reading! Thanks all for the help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now