Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au Pair advice

(10 Posts)
scubagroover Mon 29-Dec-14 14:17:41

Hi
Looking for a bit of advice but to cut a long story short - we had an au pair through an agency. She seemed OK (not great) and was going to stay for Christmas as apparently nowhere for her to go at home. Then she announced on the 16 Dec that she was going home on 19 Dec for Christmas and would be back on New Year's Day. When she left though she took every single possession with her so I contacted the agency. I said that I was concerned that she was doing a runner. Anyway sure enough she then got in touch with the agency to say that she would not be returning. I'm obviously left in a complete bind. The agency will source me a new au pair but want the full agency fee again which I think is really unreasonable - I realise they are not a charity but I will have paid a yearly fee twice in the space of 3 months.

Obviously I don't have to use this agency but does anyone have any advice of where to look for an au pair not through an agency?

Thanks in advance.

Thereshallbeaspirin Mon 29-Dec-14 14:40:59

Aupair-world.net or greataupair.com or aupairinLondon on facebook (and similar for other big cities)

Facebook pages are best place to find someone quickly as they are full of au pairs already here and wanting to move families/locations.

Karoleann Mon 29-Dec-14 15:53:04

Au pair agency fees are a complete waste of money IMO. They can't do anything you can't do.
There are lots of lots of great au pairs on au pair world, or if you're in London gumtree

grandmainmypocket Mon 29-Dec-14 21:51:33

I would look on au pair world. Do you know why she left?
Au pair world usually results in a lot of people contacting you. It helps to know what you're looking for.
Good luck.

Francezinha Tue 30-Dec-14 17:43:07

We had accounts on aupair world and aupair village (recommended by a friend). I didn't think we'd have any luck on that site, but for some reason the selection seemed to be better (better qualified and more serious) on aupair village. Maybe worth a shot, too!

fluffymouse Wed 31-Dec-14 10:24:15

Definitely don't use the agency again, it sounds like they are doing very little for their fee.

Try au pair world, you have to do the legwork yourself in terms of shortlisting and vetting but at least you know its done properly and you save a fortune.

Our current amazing au pair was found on au pair world.

schlafenfreude Wed 31-Dec-14 12:25:21

Are you me? I'm looking on great au pair, au pair world, easy au pair (which is free) and au pair village (which also seems to be free). There's legwork involved but it doesn't sound like you're agency are doing anything helpful so you may as well DIY.

Francezinha Wed 31-Dec-14 18:28:39

Honestly, I preferred doing a little extra work myself if I can make sure I get a good au pair (which we did !!!!). And it seems that your agency isn't doing the work you are paying them for, so I say, search on your own!

Strix Thu 01-Jan-15 17:02:01

Oh, this thread looks remarkably like one I just started. Excep mine did a runner on the 30th, and I need to be at work on Friday (2nd Jan.).

Lots of nice girls on au pair world, but none that can show up so quickly.

Bugger.

Cat111 Fri 02-Jan-15 00:21:58

The agency I have used in the past provides another au pair as soon as possible - providing this is the first time this has happened - and if they cannot do it within a reasonably short time frame (I think a month) then they will refund at least part of your fee. It sounds like your agency are being greedy.

Good luck finding a new au pair. Hopefully the right person will come along soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now