Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Looking for advice please

(10 Posts)
Becca132 Mon 22-Dec-14 15:52:26

I'm currently working as an au pair, and have been since August 2013, working for the same family. I've earmarked spring 2015 for my time to leave, and I'd love to move into nannying.

But, my problem is, I have no formal childcare qualifications - I do have a degree though, in fine art photography, but I have some experience, especially with young children. The children I mind are 2, 3 and 4, and I've been with them since they were 8 months, 2 and 3. I have sole charge of the 2 and 3 year old 5 days a week from 8am to 3pm (the 4 year old is at school), and I have all three on a Saturday morning for a few hours. I play with them, do crafts, bake etc, and I cook all of their meals. I do a few chores around the house (tidying, sorting toys etc) but we have a housekeeper who comes in so I don't do too much when it comes to cleaning and laundry.

Do you think there would be any chance I'd be able to find a nannying job if I started looking, or would the fact I don't have a qualification and only really have 16 months of real childcare experience be an issue? Where would I even start with looking for jobs?! I've googled it but it's a bit of a minefield! I'll be back near to Edinbugh when I finish up next year.
I'd love absolutely any advice anyone can give me, I love au pairing I just need to move on to something a bit better paid so I can start doing 'stuff' with my life!

rockup Mon 22-Dec-14 15:58:34

Hi there. it sound slike you have some great practical experience. I say go for it ;)

nannynick Mon 22-Dec-14 16:32:53

Write a good CV. Write several sentences about what you did in this job focusing on the sole charge childcare.
Any previous caring for children, write a little of what you did. You want your CV to show your childcare experience so that the reader is focused on that.

Purplepumpkins Mon 22-Dec-14 18:06:07

You should join an agency. You seem to have great experience looking after a nice range of ages.

Good luck

jendot2 Mon 22-Dec-14 19:40:46

There are a number of childcare qualifications that you can do online in your own time. Would that be a possibility?
18m with one family with 3 children is great experience and a definite bonus for future nanny work.

minipie Tue 23-Dec-14 00:15:47

The job you're doing at the moment sounds more like a nannying job tbh rather than an au pair job, so that's an excellent start. I wouldn't call your current job "au pair" on your CV, just describe your job. Our current (fab) nanny started as an au pair and has no formal childcare qualifications.

In summary I would say go for it - you may need to accept lower end of nanny wages due to relative lack of experience but would still be more than au pair pay I would think.

sleeplessinderbyshire Tue 23-Dec-14 00:21:03

your current job sound slike a nanny role to me. Our current nanny had no formal childcare qualifications but did have experience and enthusiasm. she's just done CYPOP5 and got ofsted registered. she's doing a level 3 NVQ alongside work at present and has funding for the course

madasacatter Wed 24-Dec-14 07:54:46

Your experience sounds good to me, perhaps if you were considering a role in the south of England then you could PM me smile

Christmasbargainshopper Wed 24-Dec-14 07:57:20

There is a really high need for nannies in Edinburgh. I think you will do fine. Good luck!

Becca132 Wed 24-Dec-14 14:12:17

Thanks for all the replies, it's been really helpful! I think I'm going to start working on a strong CV now, and look into agencies and get the ball rolling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now