Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Christmas gift for new nanny

(10 Posts)
elsiewoo Mon 22-Dec-14 12:30:14

I know there are other threads about Christmas gifts, but our part-time nanny will only have worked for us for 9 days by Christmas and being new to having a nanny, I'm not sure what would seem a reasonable gift. She's lovely and the kids really like her, but I don't know her well enough to get something personal. Was thinking of a voucher and some chocs - maybe around the �30 - �50 mark. Any thoughts would be very gratefully received.

Ebb Mon 22-Dec-14 13:47:06

I think that's very generous and your nanny will be very grateful as I'm sure she won't expect anything after 9 days. I've been with my family a year and didn't even get a christmas card let alone a present.

LightTripper Mon 22-Dec-14 14:21:36

Hi Elsie. Our new nanny's also just done a couple of weeks so far and I'd decided similar (50 vouchers and some chocs), so hope we have both got it right!!

NannyNim Mon 22-Dec-14 15:23:32

My birthday was just 10 days after I began working for my family and I didn't expect anything from them but they put up balloons, bought a lovely cake, gave me a book and donated to a charity in my name (a mutual interest we share)

You both sound very generous and I'm sure your nanny will be delighted!

elsiewoo Mon 22-Dec-14 21:19:54

Thanks all for your replies - a big help smile

Theresadogonyourballs Tue 23-Dec-14 14:27:53

Ebb - your employers sound horrible! Sorry, but not even a card?! I've worked for 4 families during my 20+ years nannying, and always received cash, presents, cards etc from all of them at every Xmas / birthday. How hard is it to just write a short note to the person who cares for the things you hold most precious in the world, just saying thank you? I use a CM just a few hours a week after school for my daughter, and I wanted her to know how much I appreciate her, so got gifts for her kids, a big gift for her, and cards from all of us - why wouldn't you? Some people astonish me sad.

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Tue 23-Dec-14 14:34:08

Im a nanny, I would be happy with a box of chocolates after such a short time with you so think a gift card is a really lovely thought.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 25-Dec-14 22:13:16

Was sad when you said on Fb they didn't give you a card ebb sad

Every employee deserves a card and thank you

I was totally spoilt with pressies from DT and an amazing cash bonus - more then I've ever had (and Ive always had nice ones in all the years I've nannied) - was totally stunned when opened card this am shock

biffchas Fri 26-Dec-14 08:22:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 26-Dec-14 14:45:50

I honestly don't get why some Familiies can't even give a card sad

I'm very lucky to get a bonus and trust me I appreciate it big time !!!!! ESP as a temporary position and im Self employed

I would be very upset if in a perm job and didn't even get a card

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now