Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Contributing to a statement

(5 Posts)
LingDiLong Sun 21-Dec-14 20:43:36

One of my mindees is going through the process of getting a statement of educational needs. I've been asked to contribute which I'm happy to do. I was hoping for some kind of form or at least some guidance but the paperwork has arrived by post and it basically just says they want my 'advice' in typed format. I might ring tomorrow and see if I can get some idea of what they're looking for but has anyone else done this before and if so what did you put?! The child in question is 3 and goes to a specialist nursery for speech therapy as well as a school nursery and they will both be contributing. I was thinking just my observations both positive and negative but keeping it very objective. I really don't feel qualified to 'advise' on whether a child may or may not have special educational needs.

BackforGood Sun 21-Dec-14 21:49:52

Look at the EYFS, and put notes under those 'headings' - explaining where you notice they are in each area. It gives you a structure and the people reading it some kind of 'numeric' measure - "Emerging, in 8 - 20months" etc.

Am surprised though, with Education Health Care Plans replacing Statements that you aren't invited to the Team Around the Child meeting to discuss this, and contribute to the one, collated form that is sent of to panel, rather than being asked for a written report.

HSMMaCM Sun 21-Dec-14 21:52:19

I haven't done it, but we've recently done training on it. They said just provide our observations, assessments and records of concerns. Also notes from any meetings you may have had with parents and techniques you have found work or don't work with the child. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will come along in a minute, but we were definitely told not to try and make a diagnosis. Are they still called statements?

HSMMaCM Sun 21-Dec-14 21:54:02

What backforgood said

LingDiLong Sun 21-Dec-14 22:23:45

That's great Backforgood and HSMM - thanks so much. That's exactly what I was debating doing, relieved to know I was on the right lines!

I'm in Wales so I don't know whether that means we have a different process...the letter from the Educational Authority calls it a 'Statement of Educational Needs'. They've also included a copy of what is presumably the letter to his parents and it mentions 'several meetings' with various different professionals. There really isn't much information though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: